• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS Recalls 10,000 ROG Maximus Z690 Hero Motherboards Due to Potential Fire Hazard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kenrou

Again?

"Reading up on it this is the issue at US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), a capacitor on the motherboard was installed in a reverse position which can lead to a short circuit, overheating or melting, posing fire and burn hazards."

"This recall involves ASUS ROG Maximus Z690 Hero computer motherboards sold separately for computers. The recalled motherboards have part number 90MB18E0-MVAAY0. Affected units have a serial number that starts with MA, MB, and MC, which indicates the manufacture year in 2021. The part number is located next to the 24-pin power connector on a white label on the bottom side of the motherboard and on the packaging."

@Kenrou

Here's the original recall from 12/2021...
The issue potentially affects units manufactured in 2021 with the part number 90MB18E0-MVAAY0 and serial number starting with MA, MB, or MC.

Same PN and SN prefixes.

They also mention in that link they were already working with Gov't agencies... so, this is just the 'formal' recall or something? I don't know why this 'suddenly' came out...is it normal? I have no idea how that place works. I can't imagine Asus didn't know exactly how many were produced that way already(?).

EDIT: Also.. this is at the bottom of the CPSC website
This recall was conducted, voluntarily by the company, under CPSC’s Fast Track Recall process. Fast Track recalls are initiated by firms, who commit to work with CPSC to quickly announce the recall and remedy to protect consumers.

To me, and with the previous wording from Asus, leads me to believe this was normal and supposed to happen(?). Why it took 8 months to publish, no clue. Or, maybe they just joined up and were notified? No idea. But it seems like it's nothing at all new just a formal announcement from the CPSC.

Looks like, at first, it was an announcement that ASUS would repair/replace faulty motherboards that are under 1 serial number. I remember that back then, there were 2 serial number series on the market and all were checking if their motherboards had that one specific number. Next, they announced that the new batch has no mentioned issues. Somehow in the official announcement from the CPSC, they recall all motherboards with 3 different serial number series, clearly those that are supposed to be already without the design flaw too. This is how I see all this news. Maybe something is mixed-up, or some previous news skipped part of the info.

I mean, it's possible, but Tom's news coverage (12/30) had all three SNs and a statement by Asus on 12/28 before the webpage went up 12/29/2021. Later on 12/30 Tom's added an Editor's note with a link to the Asus webpage. In other words, it appears Asus' initial statement had all three SNs as far as I can tell.

If there are others that only have one SN, post it...it certainly is possible. :)

EDIT: I searched Asus' statement about the three SNs, and all the articles come back to late 2021. So unless they announced something prior to that, it was all three SNs out of the gate. Nothing was added.

Last edited:
I said what I remember, so it can be a bit mixed-up ;) In the beginning, all was about one batch with specified one SN series, and then was the ASUS statement, but I wasn't reading the official statement back then. It could be updated or expanded, I wasn't following this issue as I had other motherboards with other issues ;) For me more important was why all the APEX mobos had faulty RAM slots.
It's just weird that after 8 months when the case is actually closed and it was already decided that these motherboards will be replaced, there is a CPSC announcement.

Yeah, maybe news sites and other rumors mentioned one specific SN before an announcement by Asus in late December, but anything official (well before this CPSC stuff) was all three SNs.

It's just weird that after 8 months when the case is actually closed and it was already decided that these motherboards will be replaced, there is a CPSC announcement.
That's what I've been wondering since the thread started, lol. Just not sure how the process works.

I bet they are not even manufacturing this model anymore ... or maybe they do only for RMA replacements ;)

Who knows...lol. I got lucky with my sample and the cap was the right way... it was an early/2021 sample too. So SOME good boards got out before the snafu.

Back