• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED ASUS ROG HERO VIII DARK - USB Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Canadian911Guy

:bang head
Hello, brand new to the forums so go easy?

I recently bought this MB and as I was going to attach the USB 3.2 Gen 1 (Blue 20 Pin) connector to the Front Panel, my cats decide to run and jump onto my head and back. Their claws caused pain and it shocked me. This caused me to jerk my hands and in the process, many of the wires bent beyond repair. So, now what?

I do still have all the USB's on the IO Panel, and I still have the Gen 2 connector on the MB.

My question is: What are my options to get the Front Panel USB ports working? Is there a cable that will go from the Gen 2 to the Front Panel? Can I cable from one of the IO Panel ports to the Front Panel? Or do I just buy a new MB? (Not gonna happen!)

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Those pins are pretty sturdy and far enough apart, with some time I bet you could get them all straightened out.

I think what he needs is something like this which attaches to the USB 3.2 Type-C port on the motherboard and converts to USB 3.1 20 pin header
https://www.amazon.ca/Cablecc-Front...SB+FRONT+PANEL+ADAPTER&qid=1610804014&sr=8-13
There we go.

That or bend them back to straight.

this will work too, but at USB 2.0 speeds.

this will work too, but is a mostly external solution (not aesthetically pleasing). You may be able to route through water cooling holes in some cases... but then I wonder if the front panel connector can reach it so make sure you get something long enough if you go this route.

Last edited:
USB 3 FP Adapter.jpg

this will work too, but is a mostly external solution (not aesthetically pleasing). You may be able to route through water cooling holes in some cases... but then I wonder if the front panel connector can reach it so make sure you get something long enough if you go this route.
Only if you're looking at the back of the case. You can route it through the unused first card slot, right along the backside of the GPU. In all the cases I've used, the front panel USB connect cable is long enough to reach it, so I don't see that as being a problem. I guess if you have a severe OCD about seeing a wire through the side window it might make you queasy.

Only if you're looking at the back of the case.
Right. That's my point...it comes out of the case. It's on the back, indeed. There are fully internal solutions that don't require a wire run across the chassis too. Also solutions that don't take any rear usb ports in case that is and issue. Any method described above will work. Some more performant, aesthetically pleasing or leaves all rear ports is all. :)

I've used chassis where it barely reaches that port in the bottom of the board... which is why I mentioned the potential concern in the first place. ;]

You can call it 'severe OCD' I just call it a clean look and doing it with the best tool for job. :thup:

Last edited:
Back