• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS IX HERO with 6700k overclock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Get the nic driver from the motherboard website .. but shocked it's not working already..

Nvm, just started it since last night and plugged the ethernet cable in and the internet works now. Both PCs now have different product keys, only my old one has the OEM product key, my new build ends in AA and 3 numbers. Yeah, I wish I had everything working already. I got sick on tuesday so ive been in bed since. Ordered and installed noctua 3000rpm fan for rear exhaust, cable splitters, etc. I did swap GPUs. My old PC with the GTX1050 OC was basically plug and play, so when i go to device manager and click display adapters, it just says gtx1050 now instead of gtx1080.

I tried installing the graphic driver, but at the end it said it coould not install windows with this version of windows so now im really frustrated. I think maybe because my old PC had a OEM/system builder windows 10 pro installed? Not sure what to do now. do a soft reset and reinstall windows or do a hard reset and delete everything again and start from scratch with the drivers?

Went to the system about page and now the product key changed to a key that ends in OEM!?! I dont know why thats happening. On my old PC, I have the windows 10 pro full version disc but the guy who built it bought a system builder key im assuming since he just builds custom PCs, but for my new first build, I bought the Windows10 Pro Full Version USB 3.0 drive and inside it was a key card with the product key.

There were "unknown issues" with my drive. The screen said something about having to switch from sata mode to a RAID 0 build. Got a new 960 EVO coming tommorow from amazon. Ill return my current one so i dont have to send it to samsung.

Also, since my motherboard has been updated to the newest bios, and when I start the PC, I can get to the bios screen, does that mean my mobo is properly working? All settings are on default. I know the XMP works, and put it back to default as I dont want to mess with any bios settings until after Windows 10 Pr is properly installed, along with all the drivers I NEED. As for the Asus Apps, does anyone know which are the top apps I should install for my desktop such as ASUS suite 3, ramdisk, etc? I dont want to install apps that wont benefit me or my computers performance, reliability, etc.

Thanks everyone

PS, this first build of mine is more like a side project. I work long hours Monday to Friday, usually 8-6pm, and I go to the gym from 5am-7pm, then head to work, so when I get home, I'm dead tired. Along with moving this past month, I've been very busy. So I work on my new build sometimes after the gym and in weekends after getting 9-10 hours of sleep lol. Believe me when I say I just want to get this thing properly running. I have all the components I need, so I won't be spending anymore money besides having to buy a new 960 evo and then returning the defective one. And I also had that issue with the ram which took 4 sets to finally get a full working set. That took about a week and a half.

Last edited:
I gotta ask you something, are you making sure that Windows 10 is updated to the latest version? Let it do ALL of the updates before you attempt to install a graphics driver on a 10 series card. It WILL NOT install on the older versions of windows 10. After the updates, it will install fine.

I would only install Apps if you need them or are going to use them. Myself, I don't install any Apps from the motherboard company, the reason being I won't use them.

I gotta ask you something, are you making sure that Windows 10 is updated to the latest version? Let it do ALL of the updates before you attempt to install a graphics driver on a 10 series card. It WILL NOT install on the older versions of windows 10. After the updates, it will install fine.

Oh ok, now I know why you guys said to install the gtx1080 AFTER I install windows and update it. I will take out the graphic card. Got the new 960 EVO. I hope my windows product key still works as i did uninstall it on the old drive and i have a retail version.

Congrats btw on the 5.1ghz 7700k ;) Nicee

I would only install Apps if you need them or are going to use them. Myself, I don't install any Apps from the motherboard company, the reason being I won't use them.

Gotcha. Makes sense. I have a few apps from MSI on my current z170 and 6700k.

I will take out the GPU, install the new 960 EVO and boot up with the Windows 10 3.0 flash drive.

Once the windows 10 installs, do i still need to do anything else from the usb flash drive from windows 10 or can i eject the drive? Cause i keep getting confused if the PC is booting up from my 960 evo or the windows 10 flash drive. I have a 1tb HDD that i want to install for pics, videos, etc, but i didnt want it to install the OS on that so for now, I only have the 960 installed.

Last edited:
Btw, this is the support page for my exact GPU https://www.asus.com/us/Graphics-Cards/ROG-STRIX-GTX1080-8G-GAMING/HelpDesk_Download/.

When i click on windows 10 64-bit, it has 2 drivers. I remember downloading the newest one that ends in WHQL. And then geforce experience would let me know when theres a new driver and i would go from there on my 6700k PC. Is that the correct driver i should download once I have windows installed and updated

Have Windows 10 installed from the USB flash drive but can not connect to the internet. The only thing on the desktop is the recycling bin, when I click start and open apps, it seems all or most of the windows apps are there, but since I cannot connect to the internet, i cant update. So I've decided to leave it at that for now. At least it boots up to windows now without the usb flash drive. Ive tried connecting it straight from the modem instead of router but still same thing. I have optimum online btw, the modem connects to the router and into 2 other computers. I'm thinking theres a setting that should be on but I'm not sure, so I didnt want to mess it up like i did with the old drive.

Indeed odd. You can go download the drivers from the mobo manufacturers website and it should connect up fine. Just install them from a USB flash drive.

Indeed odd. You can go download the drivers from the mobo manufacturers website and it should connect up fine. Just install them from a USB flash drive.

Will do. I figured I was missing a driver. For the LAN/ethernet driver, theres 2 drivers on the page, 1 is WHQL which is only 5 days newer than the other one for the intel gigabit ethernet driver, should I download the newest one which is the WHQL version or the other one. I also have the mobo disk along with an external dvd-r drive, so would you recommend using the disc or getting it off the asus site. Heres the link for my drivers for windows 10 64-bit https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-MAXIMUS-IX-HERO/HelpDesk_Download/

Thank you

Have Windows 10 installed from the USB flash drive but can not connect to the internet. The only thing on the desktop is the recycling bin, when I click start and open apps, it seems all or most of the windows apps are there, but since I cannot connect to the internet, i cant update. So I've decided to leave it at that for now. At least it boots up to windows now without the usb flash drive. Ive tried connecting it straight from the modem instead of router but still same thing. I have optimum online btw, the modem connects to the router and into 2 other computers. I'm thinking theres a setting that should be on but I'm not sure, so I didnt want to mess it up like i did with the old drive.

Did you try rebooting the PC with the Ethernet cable plunged in?

Says "No network adapter installed".

Updated bios to Bios 0701, and Internet works. First thing I did was update windows which it is doing now. I clicked restart now after it downloaded all updates while still connected to internet. Its configuring windows and restarting now.

Idk if I should update to the latest bios or not. What do you guys think? There's 2 more new ones 0801 and 0906 for my mobo.

Last edited:
Still dont know why the windows product id is the same exact one as the one on my z170 6700k PC as that had an OEM windows key and i heard theyre tied to 1 motherboard only.

Still dont know why the windows product id is the same exact one as the one on my z170 6700k PC as that had an OEM windows key and i heard theyre tied to 1 motherboard only.

Either they haven't caught up with it yet, they've changed something, or you got lucky. Either way, ride that pony till it drops. LOL It wouldn't surprise me if M$ quietly made some changes to keep more copies of W10 out in the wild. Or it just takes longer (or there is a glitch) with OEM keys.

Idk if I should update to the latest bios or not. What do you guys think? There's 2 more new ones 0801 and 0906 for my mobo.

If your current BIOS works and you aren't trying to fix a specific problem a new BIOS will fix, I would leave it. There is always some risk in flashing a BIOS.

Either they haven't caught up with it yet, they've changed something, or you got lucky. Either way, ride that pony till it drops. LOL It wouldn't surprise me if M$ quietly made some changes to keep more copies of W10 out in the wild. Or it just takes longer (or there is a glitch) with OEM keys.

If your current BIOS works and you aren't trying to fix a specific problem a new BIOS will fix, I would leave it. There is always some risk in flashing a BIOS.

Just figured id have better/more stable OC results, that's all.

Also, now that windows 10 is updated, can i now shut down my PC, install my gtx1080 and then install the drivers? I havent put the gtx1080 in since ive installed the new 960 evo and the windows 10 pro install.

Well, that would be a specific problem. LOL Flashing a BIOS isn't as risky as it was at one time, I've never had a problem with it, honestly. I think people don't want to suggest it as much because something might go wrong. I know I'd feel bad if I said "Sure, flash away!" and your board bricked. There are notes about the various BIOS attributes on the download page for the BIOS. It's worth reading them to see if a particular issue was addressed by the new BIOS.

Back