• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS ROG Strix X470-F restarts or hangs with DRAM Q LED lit

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PorkPieHat

ASUS ROG Strix X470-F restarts or hangs with DRAM Q LED lit

This build is an ASUS ROG Strix X470-F with a 2600X and G.Skill FlareX F4-3200C14D-16GFX. The problem I'm having is that I get either sporadic restarts or system hangs with the DRAM Q LED indicating a memory error. When a spontaneous reboot occurs, system log messages include unexpected power shutdowns. The first step I took was to replace the PSU with a known good unit, which did not solve the problem.

I am currently running a newly installed BIOS 5809 and settings have been left at default. In this condition, I have not seen an occurrence in 10 days. Prior to this I had used the BIOS EZ Tuning wizard and AI Tweaker to make whatever changes the BIOS suggested. When in this config, I experience the problem described above. These events occur at random times, sometimes a few per day and sometimes once or twice a week. There isn't any one specific application in use at the time of failure, as they occur when running different apps.

I ran MemTest 86 for several days and nothing failed during the tests.

I'm not sure I'm seeing signs of hardware failure but I'm out of my element here. I see several BIOS memory options that have been altered following the EZ Tuning pass, but I'm not about to make further changes without advice. I have numerous BIOS screen dumps and reports from CPUID and HWInfo64 that contain the same information if that is helpful.

Can I get some help in troubleshooting this beast?

Thanks much.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Ez tuning is overclocking and wasn't stable is my guess. I'd imagine the hardware is fine. Try to enable xmp ( only, no ez tuning anything) to get the memory up to speed.

bmwbaxter

clear cmos,
load optimized defaults, reset.
Enable xmp, reset.

First gen ryzen wasn't great for memory speeds. I can barely get mine to run 2933, was getting the same stability issues. So might not even be able to get fully stable at 3200.

OP
P

PorkPieHat

Thanks for the replies, all.

I set up the system using bmwbaxter's instructions and if I can get through a week or so without a failure then I can call it good. Looking through past system logs, the problem occurs within 3 days of he previous incident. I'll post the results in about that time (or sooner if the unthinkable happens).

RJARRRPCGP

No reboot due to a bugcheck? This sounds more like a brief loss of voltage. Looks suspiciously more like a bad solder joint, a faulty MOSFET, bad cap(s) or bad connectors in RAM slot(s). Looks like you should get a good multimeter, if experienced.

OP
P

PorkPieHat

So far the system has been stable without the EZ Tune overclock and DRAM set at 3200 after enabling DOCP. Initially I suspected the PSU but a known good replacement did not solve the problem. If I continue to see reboots and hangs, I'll have to take a closer look at the mobo while it's still under warranty. But in the meantime I'm cautiously optimistic.