• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus vs Samsung

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Larcen

I'm trying to decide on a 25" LCD monitor but I'm kinda stuck. I keep seeing mixed reviews between different ones and I think I've narrowed it between the Asus VW266H and the Samsung T260HD. Anyone have any comments on the two or possible something in a similar price range that is significantly better?

OP
Larcen

Larcen

I'm going to be using it mainly for gaming and normal web / pictures type applications but I want to know others opinions on which of these would be the better by having a good clean picture and good color reproduction. I can't find anything definitive on if there is any flaws or drawbacks for either that makes it less attractive then the other.

mattgmann

generally I'd recommend most any samsung over asus monitors, but in the case of the T260HD, I won't. The HD models with the included tuner don't have great panels. The viewing angles are pretty bad and the backlighting is uneven.

The samsung p2570 without the tuner is a decent tn panel monitor for ~$300 that is nicer than the asus you listed. That asus also has built in speakers which are a waste.

psionic98

with christmas deals a plenty out there.. you might be able to find a 32" HDTV with PC input (720p) for around the same price.. refresh rates might be locked at 60 max, but contrast ratios would be 2-4x what you had

mattspalace

I been Dolk'ed Senior
1. The Asus you listed is sold out
2. The Samsung you listed is probably a better monitor than the Asus
3. You should also look at Dell offerings because they have an outstanding warranty, and there should be some good deals for them as well.

OP
Larcen

Larcen

Yea the only problem with Dell is, granted they have some really nice monitors, for the size I'm looking they cost $500+. I saw the Asus on amazon but they are crap about putting in decent specs. I'll have to look into that other Samsung you spoke of.

Last edited:
OP
Larcen

Larcen

with christmas deals a plenty out there.. you might be able to find a 32" HDTV with PC input (720p) for around the same price.. refresh rates might be locked at 60 max, but contrast ratios would be 2-4x what you had

I have a 42" Samsung LCD with 1080p already so I'm not really in for another one as a monitor. Also I think 24 - 26" is going to be my limit. The 20" I have now is great but a friend of mine bought a 25" earlier this year and I loved it.

OP
Larcen

Larcen

generally I'd recommend most any samsung over asus monitors, but in the case of the T260HD, I won't. The HD models with the included tuner don't have great panels. The viewing angles are pretty bad and the backlighting is uneven.

The samsung p2570 without the tuner is a decent tn panel monitor for ~$300 that is nicer than the asus you listed. That asus also has built in speakers which are a waste.

My only turn-off to the p2570 is that it run 16x9 and not 16x10. I'm really liking everything else about it though, especially the contrast listed and the so called 2ms (GTG). I may just have to bite the bullet and get a 16x9 if it is a lot better then the 260hd

DohDoh

I bought the same monitor (23 inch version) and I like it for the money ($200).

DragoXT

I have an Asus LCD, and love it. I did a lot f research before i bought my LCD as i was coming from a 17" CRT and did not want crappy color reproduction or ghosting in games. Of all the monitor manufacturers, Asus and LG seem to have the RTC down on how to make a panel fast without over shooting a ton like samsung's love to do.

With any LCD you have to calibrate it if you want good color reproduction. My Asus is no CRT when it comes to image quality, but i was able to calibrate it with my CRT right next to it and got it super close. As with any TN panel, the colors will lighten or darken depending on where you position your head, but it isnt very bad at all.

I mainly play fast paced FPS games and i have no ghosting what so ever, and no RTC artifacts either. TN panels are great for speed and action, do good for color reproduction once calibrated properly, and dont cost an arm and a leg. IPS panels are the way to go if you had a really hefty budget as those are expensive. The MVA panels that samsung sometimes uses are better at color reproduction than a TN panel, but they suck balls in the motion department, ghosting and blurring.

Nechen

I'd stay the **** away from both brands and get a Dell S2409W - I got mine for $219.00 and its the best money I've ever spent.

Both Samsung and Asus are notorious for using Chi-Mei Inc. Panels in their monitors and they are by far the worst drywall, melamine filled, radiated POS panels you can buy.