• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS x370 Crosshair extreeme

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cezar

Hello. I am going crazy over configuration of my new build.

I saw this motherboard and have a question to which I have no answer. Is it worth buying x370 right now with the plan to run on it Zen 2 processors and potentially generation after zen 2 if they still use the same platform? The board seems like a good deal for those willing to hustle with the rebate.

Last edited:
It depends entirely on what CPU you want to start with. I would not assume that it will run anything except a 1000 series CPU out of the box. It is also possibly overkill depending on your cooling / OC plans. I'm also not sure of support for Precision Boost Overdrive feature if you're interested in maximizing an X CPU's stock boosting behavior. I understand not caring about PCIe 4.0 though.

I would not assume that it will run anything except a 1000 series CPU out of the box.
I agree

I'll also add, unless you're looking to Oc the memory you really do not need such a robust motherboard for Ryzen. Most boards will be able to Oc the Cpu about as far as it will go on ambient cooling.

It seems like amd will release bios allowing to 300 series motherboards to be compatible with PCIe 4.0. As I understand however, PCIe 4.0 motherboards are not on the market and the feature is all about physical aspect, which allows to use more devices with extra lines. What is the practical implication of PCIe 4.0 on x570? How could the system potentially look? what could be the list of additional devices hooked up on the motherboard that you could not do on x470? Correct me if I am wrong.

How important is store MI? I found out that there is FuzeDrive utility a version of which is designed specifically for Ryzen processors. You can buy a version that supports up to 128 gb of fast storage for $20. I was thinking to buy either x370 Asus crosshair extreme or AsRock motherboard with all their features for $160-180. And save money when compared to x470 of the same grade. It seems that the only thing I lose on is StoreMI not sure about the memory speeds. It seems that to run a 3600mhz+ memory I will need to get Ryzen 2xxx or 3xxx instead of upgrading the motherboard.

Last edited:
Don't confuse "compatible" with "capable". I can't see how a bios change could actually give increased PCI-e bandwidth capability. That's a hardware factor. It might work with a PCI-e 4.0 video card but without increased performance per se. Even so, I doubt the new PCI-e standard will make a huge difference in performance at this point in time. The chief advantage may only be to those people running multiple video cards.

Store MI is AMD's answer to Intel's Optane memory products and is designed to speed up disk access when using traditional spinner hard drives. I believe it will not work in an SSD/spinner combo situation as it works only with a system drive. I could be wrong but if your spinner is not the system drive it won't work.

Last edited:
Z, thank for the clarification and I see that I was incorrect in what I said. OP does need to be aware that this operates like a RAID 0 configuration and there is no redundancy involved. So he would really need have a data backup scheme in place when using Store MI.

I own the motherboard and would suggest going for a x470. You can’t really get the benefits of a ryzen 2700x with this board. If your planning to run a 1800x and it’s really cheap. Then I would say go for it. Just know you might be paying for features you won’t use.

I have only one main issue and that is you can’t run two m.2 drives mounted directly to the motherboard and still run crossfire

It is a amazing board and I don’t think I will ever sell it. It’s a real shame you can’t just upgrade motherboards to the latest chipset. I’m really scared ASUS won’t make one like it ever again.

Thank you for your response. Are you able to run higher frequency memory on this board(over 3200) with the second generation of ryzen?

Here’s the thing I’ve had my Team Group Delta 4x4GB 2666mhz memory clocked at 3200mhz everything was fine however whenever I played games it would crash after a while. So know my memory clock is stock and my cpu is at 4ghz. I’m currently having a problem where the bios is refusing to update as well. It just keeps crashing.

I am planning on rebuilding but I’m in no hurry.
IMG_2137.JPG

Here’s the thing I’ve had my Team Group Delta 4x4GB 2666mhz memory clocked at 3200mhz everything was fine however whenever I played games it would crash after a while. So know my memory clock is stock and my cpu is at 4ghz. I’m currently having a problem where the bios is refusing to update as well. It just keeps crashing.

I am planning on rebuilding but I’m in no hurry.
View attachment 205933

For BIOS update issues use the flashback feature built into the board. It's always better than EZ flash and you can go back and forth with BIOS versions so if you find one that works well you can stay with that one.

As for the benefits of the X470 Vs X370 I beg to differ. X470 has a better PBO but that's where it stops. I have the CHVI with an R5 2600 at 4.2 GHz which drops speed to 1.5 GHz in low load. It's all about finding the right BIOS version. The one I'm using is the first releases for Ryzen 2xxx from April last year and this one will allow downclocking even with a set multi OC.

So if I were to get x370 would I still be able to use PBO and leverage better binning for 2700x?

So if I were to get x370 would I still be able to use PBO and leverage better binning for 2700x?

Short answer is no. Only 400 series has that option. I personally wouldn't buy an x370 chipset if buying new right now the price differences between the extreme 370 and hero wifi x470 are minimal and they're based on the same board. The Ryzen chips all fizzle out by 4.2 GHz with ambient cooling, this OC is attainable on just about any x470 board at a lower price. I have an ASUS Prime X470 Pro that I also use for some benching which has a much more reasonable price-tag and every bit as good for overclocking.

Short answer is no. Only 400 series has that option. I personally wouldn't buy an x370 chipset if buying new right now the price differences between the extreme 370 and hero wifi x470 are minimal and they're based on the same board.

Right now x370 extreme has a $100 rebate. Which is a selling point for me when paired with robust VRMs and other extra features.

The Ryzen chips all fizzle out by 4.2 GHz with ambient cooling, this OC is attainable on just about any x470 board at a lower price. I have an ASUS Prime X470 Pro that I also use for some benching which has a much more reasonable price-tag and every bit as good for overclocking.

How do you read codes and restart BIOS or regulate manually clockspeed with your ASUS prime? Do you use some kind of extension like PCI or usb connected card to get reads of codes, to restart BIOS, etc? Do you use something like this?

Right now x370 extreme has a $100 rebate. Which is a selling point for me when paired with robust VRMs and other extra features.

How do you read codes and restart BIOS or regulate manually clockspeed with your ASUS prime? Do you use some kind of extension like PCI or usb connected card to get reads of codes, to restart BIOS, etc? Do you use something like this?

I just gave you my opinion, sounds like you are sold on the Extreme and it's a good price for an older chipset. If you need the diagnostic readouts and flashback then you're not going to find a better deal at the moment. Just keep in mind that Zen2 and x570 are launching soonish which is why the X370 boards are being discounted. It's just my preference if I'm buying new now, why would I get a motherboard that's already two years old?

No, just commenting as I am deaf. Surprised that such a board doesn’t have a LED screen for codes. Seems cheap to go the audio route.. Actually it does have a Q code on the mobo from what I see. Is it not a LED display and why you commented on diagnostic beeps?

But in any case, I agree. Why buy a new mobo that came out a couple of years ago, especially when a new generation of mobos are coming out soon, that’ll outdate the 370 even more?

No, just commenting as I am deaf. Surprised that such a board doesn’t have a LED screen for codes. Seems cheap to go the audio route.. Actually it does have a Q code on the mobo from what I see. Is it not a LED display and why you commented on diagnostic beeps?

But in any case, I agree. Why buy a new mobo that came out a couple of years ago, especially when a new generation of mobos are coming out soon, that’ll outdate the 370 even more?

I guess I don't know what Q code is then. Actually, OP's question about readouts and controlling things confused me. Much of what he is asking would seem to be found in the bios options themselves.

Back