• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS X99 Deluxe II Eating CPUs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ndcube

Registered
I did a build Dec. '16. Everything seemed fined but after 10 weeks the PC all of a sudden shut off. I happened to be there when it happened. Removing everything but the CPU it would power on to Q-CODE 00 and red CPU Led. Replaced the CPU and processor and got things running again. It ended up being the processor that went dead.

Now 4 weeks later it happens again. I happened to be around to see it once more. Lucky me. This time Q Code 00 but no CPU Led. Fans will spin up on high.

I swapped power supplies and that doesn't seem to be an issue. In both cases I had it OC'ed to 4.2GHz at 1.25V. Temp are usually below 60 and don't go above 75.

HX1000i
Asus X99 Deluxe II
i7-6900k

I guess my question is? Am I missing something with this mobo? I have never had a build do this once let alone twice? Is the extra 4-pin ATX cable goofing things up? It seems to run without it but I figured I should have it connected.

Is Broadwell-e just super sensitive? I didn't buy an 8-core processor to let it idle. It runs some sort of load 24/7.

This second time I'm assuming CPU but I suppose it could be a dead mobo.

Thanks,

if you're not on lN2 you will not need the 4 pin power.
what's the voltage on the 4 pin power connector?

if you're not on lN2 you will not need the 4 pin power.
what's the voltage on the 4 pin power connector?

I'm using water cooling. I don't know the voltage off-hand. I assume is the same as the normal 8-pin. connector. I get the same result with or without the 4-pin. I was think maybe it could be supplying too much current if plugged in and not needed and after a while took it's toll on things.

that's not how it works, the cpu pulls what it wants from the circuit, the circuit does not push amps.
the circuit pushes with voltage, if the voltage is to high it can make trouble.

that's not how it works, the cpu pulls what it wants from the circuit, the circuit does not push amps.
the circuit pushes with voltage, if the voltage is to high it can make trouble.

I guess I realize that's not how it works. I'm just trying to think of differences b/w this and my other builds.

Thanks. I have a multi-meter. I'll check it out. You think that's more likely then the mobo screwing something up?

More than likely, it's a motherboard issue since you have the same trouble after replacing the CPU. Even though you set the voltage to 1.25 in bios that doesn't necessarily mean that's what is being given to your CPU at all times. There could be very high but brief voltage spikes that don't last ling enough to drive temps up. Though I would have to say, your temps are appropriate for the vcore amount you reference. Have you checked the socket for bent/damaged pins. Have you watched the voltage in hardware monitor as you compute?

More than likely, it's a motherboard issue since you have the same trouble after replacing the CPU. Even though you set the voltage to 1.25 in bios that doesn't necessarily mean that's what is being given to your CPU at all times. There could be very high but brief voltage spikes that don't last ling enough to drive temps up. Though I would have to say, your temps are appropriate for the vcore amount you reference. Have you checked the socket for bent/damaged pins. Have you watched the voltage in hardware monitor as you compute?

Thank you for the reply. The motherboard was replaced with the first CPU though Asus cited nothing was wrong. I'm not sure why they gave me a new one. Maybe it's easier than charging me for shipping and returning the original. I've become suspicious of that model board and may try a different model and/or brand. I at least want to get one to test the current failure to rule out damage to the CPU.

I have not yet checked for damaged pins. That may be a project for tomorrow with my macro lens.

I monitored voltage on & off with different applications over the past few months (especially while stress testing) and all seemed consistent although I suspect they only poll every half second or so and might not catch instantaneous spikes.

Yes, I certainly would go with another motherboard model of nothing obvious shows up to be the cause. Is the power stable in your home environment?

@ndcube I have had the same set up for about a year. my 2nd CPU just died yesterday. WTF?

Well, I rebuilt the computer I was using with an MSI board and it has been running fiine for several months now. When I rebuilt I found that my CPU fan cable was bad (probably shorting) so maybe it was goofing up the power and was my cause of death. I still don't no for sure.

I decided to start another project using the ASUS x99 Deluxe II with 6850k. It's a much simpler build with parts I"ll reuse if something goes wonky. So far so good on that.

So I guess I don't know what to say. I'm assuming for now that it was the faulty fan cable not playing nice with ASUS. I'll keep you posted if it dies again or I find something else out.

ndcube,

I wouldn't mind chatting with you about it. I didn't elaborate, but I have a asus deluxe 2 with 6850k that is what I am having trouble with. I learned some insight with my conversations with intel. Let me know if you want to do a quick discord chat or something. I have been building pcs for 16+ years, something seems off about this situation.

Ajflick,

I would love talking more about this with you. I have a X99 Deluxe II with a 6850k, and am having the same boot issue where I can't post. It was working fine for 6 months then stopped. New PSU, same issue. RMA board to ASUS and they flash bios, board works again. Has boot issues however, where it shuts off, and takes 2-6 boot attempts before working again. Last night it shut off, and is back to a blip of fans and leds, and wont even post.

Sounds like the OP had a short in the system, the last guy said BIOS. I do recall reading issues around the spectre/meltdown and BIOS patches.
Pretty sure that board has BIOS Flashback so I would start with getting the latest BIOS from ASUS and using the right USB port , properly named .CAP file and a FAT 32 formatted USB drive re-flash the BIOS and see if it comes to life.

Back