• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asymetric PCI solution for GPU watercooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

marchermitte

Registered
Hello there!
I had to change my motherboard recently and wanted to instal my triple gtx 780 ti with EK waterblocks.
My previous motherboard was an asus rampage III with 4 pci slots with an even space between them. I used a waterblock EK triple to connect my video boards together.
My new motherboard is a Asrock 99x etxreme 3 with asymmetric pci layout.

imageproxy.jpg

I'm looking for another bridge SLI triple for waterblock EK. According to the seller, the SK terminalX would be the only product for my needs and isn't available at the moment.
I've seen an Alphacool sli asymmetric which would do the job except that It doesn't seems to be compatible (attach) to the EK waterblock of my 3 gtx 780 ti.

Does any one here know about a solution? I'm in the middle of a job with Octane render and need to find a quick solution.

Thank you for your expertise.

I'm not going to be able to answer your question directly. Instead, I'm suggesting that you consider going a different route. Instead of TriSLI, think about getting a single card with similar performance. Less heat, less power, fewer driver issues and only one water block needed.

I was looking for a way to quantify my argument but it is difficult. I did find one article that compared SLI to TriSLI with 780 Ti's and while there was improvement, it was at a substantial loss of overall efficiency. Going from one card to two did not double the performance and going from 2 to 3 did not increase performance by a third. With that as a starting basis, one 980Ti or 1080Ti may give you similar performance to your 3 x 780 Ti.

First, why 3x 780Ti?
Second, why not use an Alphacool block with their SLI bridge?

Well, Octane does use ALL the gpu in the pc... so more GPU = faster render (but really faster) I'm not using the SLI as a way to connect the cards together via hardware sli but I'm using them separately connected with a watercooling sli connector (a piece of plastic inside which the cooling liquid can flow through each card and keep them screwed together)
Then why 3x GTX 780 ti?
2880 CUDA Cores. around 200 Euros, can't fin better deal now.
Why not using Alphacool connectors?
Cause I've already bought 3 EK waterblock and don't want to buy 3 Alphacool waterblock now on top of the one I have already.
I'm going to try those Connecteur SLI / CrossFire ajustable (the one with a steel pipe that slide inside the bolts)
Other than that I could buy another motherboard with 4 x gpu symmetric pci slots (second hand sell for around 300 Euros)
I've seen that EK would be releasing a new X connector by the end of August. too late for me on that job but still interesting for later.

Of course the perfect solution would be 3x 1070 ti of 3x 1080 ti watercooled.

Thank you for your help and advises.

Tnak you for your imputs

Back