• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

At a loss, stability problem?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Timd

At a loss, mobo problem?

Ok my gf has had problems with her computer since I met her. What happens is the monitor goes to standby, her hdd light goes solid and nothing responds. This may be important too, the reset button doesnt work when this happens, you have to manually cut power to restart. Well the problem has hit the point where windows XP won't start, once it hits the loading screen the above syptoms occur.

So initially I thought it was her OS, but after a reformat the problem is still there, even using a different harddrive didn't help.

PSU volt rails are all good, cpu temps are fine, the only thing I can think of is the mobo or maybe memory, but Im not sure how to check the memory without being in windows.

Her system was purchased in South Korea, but heres what I could tell from visual inspection:

Asus MBP4X
intel celeron 1.7ghz
nvidia geforce2
noname PSU, literally no label
samsung PC133U-333-542, not sure if any of that is pertinent

Anyways any help would be greatly appreciated, she needs this thing back so she can pay bills and stuff so Im trying to get to the bottom of it quickly.

Tim

Last edited:
Check the memory using Memtest86+ (google for link). Just burn a bootable CD and put it in her computer and it'll test the RAM before booting to Windows. If there's no RAM problem then I would go with the motherboard.

Back