• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

At long last...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TurboChickenMan

Registered
A few months ago, I finally finished building my first truly good PC. However, because of constant money shortages, I've been collecting the parts for years, and as a result it's somewhat out of date.

But it's good enough for the stuff I run, and it looks cool too. That's all that matters. :cool:

I just recently attempted my first real overclock. Although I didn't run a real burn-in (just a few hours, if at all. It's too time consuming), I've been running some fairly CPU intensive software recently to compensate.

I bought all of my parts for good overclocking potential, but it didn't really work out very well. The best I could do with my locked multipliers was about a 5% overclock.

I adjusted the RAM timings and voltage to highs and lows, but nothing helped. And even with just that 5% extra, I started seeing the occasional crash that I hadn't seen before.

Since the performance gain wasn't a good enough trade-off for the added wear & tear to my components, I removed the overclock the other day. It doesn't matter to me that much, really. My default speeds are good enough for my current needs. ;)

My specs are:

Athlon XP 3200+ @ default 2.2 ghz
XFX 6600GT @ default 500c/1000m clocks
Asus A7N8X-E Deluke mobo
512 x 2 dual channel Kingston HyperX DDR RAM (KHX3200AK2/1G, default clock/timings)
80GB Maxtor hard drive
4x Sunbeamtech silent anodized green LED case fans
Thermalright SP-97 heatsink
Sanyo Denki Petit Ace 80x32mm CPU fan (53 CFM @ 4600 RPM)
Antec NeoPower 650W power supply (Formerly 550W Aerocool Black/Silver)
Black Lite-on DVD-Rom and CD-RW drives (re-flashed from Sony branding)
Black floppy drive (Forgot brand)
Black Cooler Master Praetorian case

I don't have any pics (since I don't have a digital camera), but I can assure you that it looks just great. I really love it. :D

P.S. I'm not sure if this is the right section for this, so please don't treat me too harshly if it isn't...

ou_phidelt

Congrats on your first build, good to see you are happy with the results. Head over the the AMD CPU section and they will be able to give a hand on the OC.