• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ATA100 and hdd install problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

asecmt

Registered
:(
ok, i recently posted a question about the WD 80gig SE hdd ant ATA cards, and got a lot of help, THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE HELP

well, i went with the PROMISE ATA/100 TX2 card, which i just got today via FEDEX(and just yesterday, i got my RMA from MAXTOR):D .....anyways, the problem that has come to me now is that the instructions show nothing about WIN XP, the latest they
show isWIN 2000, which i think may be close enough for install BIOS instructions i think, but not for sure.

i have already physically installed the ATA card but not with the hd
plugged into it yet, instructions says to put in card, boot into windows(2000) then NEW HARDWARE WIZ. would run, but it did not, and then stick in floppy to load drivers for the BIOS. but the
i am having problems with loading the BIOS driver(s) for the ATA card, XP says the driver(s) already installed are better than the ones on the floppy, so it does'nt install a thing.

i tried going to the PROMISE website, but found nothing about WINXP really, and it is too late to call them(by the way, ITS LONG DISTANCE!!! :mad: ) does anyone know how to help me with this problem ? i need to get the ATA card's BIOS loaded so i can attach
the hdd to it and use the thing, i would really like to get it done tonight since i won't have another off day to do it in about 10 days

THANKS FOR ANY AND ALL HELP, I REALLY DO MEAN IT!!!

When I used a Promise ATA100 controller card, I simply plugged it in to the PCI slot, plugged the cable into it, and off I went. The only problem I had was that it wouldn't find the drive at first, but it turned out that was because it was set to "slave" instead of master. I'm sure Windows found drivers for it when it booted. With XP so new, its drivers are probably as good as the ones on the floppy.

i think your are right about the driver , i looked into the hardware manager and the card is the with now problems, but now how do i load the BIOS for it?
when i turn on the syatem the mobo bios runs, then the ATA card model# etc. shows up and it says DETECTING, after a few econds it says NO BIOS LOADED(or something like that) and then goes dirctly to load windows normally.

any suggestions ?, how did you get the BIOS loaded when you did it? or did you just plug the hdd in and it worked fine?

Once I connected the drive correctly, it loaded Windows with no problems. The BIOS is flashed on the controller card the same as it is with a motherboard. If there was no BIOS, it wouldn't work at all AFAIK. Try connecting your drive and see if it boots up.

IT'S WORKING!!!
i did have to turn off the mobo, hdd detect though, and i had to arrange the boot seq. to the card first then BIOS (the card BIOS i am guessing) it was trial run when i did it, but i kinda figured that since it kept saying that HDD not found, then DETECTING, then booting up fine that i had to do this, not quite sure if i was right about the boot seq. though.....you think i should put it back where it was (BIOS then ATA card) or just leave it alone?
it does seem to be ok like it is(card then BIOS), although it started fine(and quick i might add) it did lag quite a bit when loading IE getting back here to write this, but i just figured it was finishing up doing it's thing in the background for the ATA card, what you think?
guess i will find out on the next reboot
let me know what you think about the boot seq. question, ok

AND THANKS!!!

Different motherboards have different BIOS settings, but the best results I've had with a controller card was with setting "First Boot Device" to SCSI. Just in case there are newer drivers, you could try downloading the latest that Promise has at their site, and trying the "Update Driver" function in Device Manager.
Glad I could help.

well, I already tried UPDATE DRIVER, and XP says IT has a better one than whats on the floppy that was with the card. and the promise site showed no updated drivers other than drives larger than 128gig i think, which does not pertain to me.
all i see is a BIOS flash and there are 2 of them, not sure which one to try really, guess i'll leave it alone for now until i figure that one out.
well, thanks again and i hope we can talk again soon.
later

OOPS SORRY, I GOT THOSE BIOS AND DRIVER DETAILS CROSSED!
it is the other way around, lol, i'm tired, hungry, and i got a headache with no aspirin!!
MY BAD! 😄

Back