• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Athlon 1133mhz at 58C load

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Elmo

I have an Athlon 1133mhz at 53C idle, 58C load. The case temperature is 35C. My heatsink is a Globalwin FOP38 with a 60 to 80mm fan adapter and a cheap case fan on top. I did this because I couldn't stand the noise of the 6800rpm fan. I have one intake case fan (identical to the one of the cpu) at the front of the case. Between the heatsink and the cpu is the melted thermal pad that came with the heatsink.

I was just wondering if there was any possible way to lower my temperature without raising the noise level? Oh, and also without spending too much money :)

I was considering an Enermax variable speed fan (at a silent setting) to serve as an exhaust fan at the back of the case.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Yodums

You need to get Arctic Silver 3, and scrape that pad off. You must change the thermal compound everytime you remove the heatsink from the chip.

You also need airflow, consider three more of those fans, 2 exhaust, 1 more exhaust.

Yodums

NASsoccer

On a string I was held Senior
Elmo said:
I have an Athlon 1133mhz at 53C idle, 58C load. The case temperature is 35C. My heatsink is a Globalwin FOP38 with a 60 to 80mm fan adapter and a cheap case fan on top. I did this because I couldn't stand the noise of the 6800rpm fan. I have one intake case fan (identical to the one of the cpu) at the front of the case. Between the heatsink and the cpu is the melted thermal pad that came with the heatsink.

I was just wondering if there was any possible way to lower my temperature without raising the noise level? Oh, and also without spending too much money :)

I was considering an Enermax variable speed fan (at a silent setting) to serve as an exhaust fan at the back of the case.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

First off, you must get rid of that thermal pad and replace it with artic silver 2 or 3 or artic alumina. I noticed a 6c drop on my old 1.33 when i did this. Also, i the dual fan enermax comes highly recomended. Very quiet compared to regular PSU's. This would give you some way to get the hot air out of your case. If you don't have the money for the PSU then i would advise you to either cut a blow hole on the top of the case and put a fan exhausting there or the same if in the back if there is space.

PS AS2 or 3 are very cheap and possibly a member has some they could send you, i would send you mine but i just sent it to someone.

OP
Elmo

Elmo

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have considered Arctic Silver 3 but don't know how to do it so it would cause me quite a bit of trouble. I have asked a number of people about it, some say it will make a significant difference, and some say it won't make much.

What's your opinion on it?

Yodums

Elmo said:
Thanks for the quick reply.

I have considered Arctic Silver 3 but don't know how to do it so it would cause me quite a bit of trouble. I have asked a number of people about it, some say it will make a significant difference, and some say it won't make much.

What's your opinion on it?

Arctic Silver 3 is like a 8 degree difference if probably used.

IF you lap your heatsink it could be 10+..

Go to arcticsilver.com and go to instructions and it'll tell you apply it on.

Just remember this:

Don't be sloppy if that gets in your bridges on the chip then it is capcitive and will connect them. But just take it easy :D

Yodums

OP
Elmo

Elmo

Thanks again.

I have a question about power supplies, how easy are they to replace? Because I have a 300w one (i think the brands Yaha") and its actually pretty loud.

Yodums

Elmo said:
Thanks again.

I have a question about power supplies, how easy are they to replace? Because I have a 300w one (i think the brands Yaha") and its actually pretty loud.

Easy as pie.

Just take the plug out, turn off the PSU, pull the plug connecting to the motherboard, then pull the plug to the cd rom, HDD etc. Then reconnect the new PSU :D

Yodums

brodo

howdy elmo,

I recently purchased the Enermax EG465P-VE FCA for under $90 but it is probably more that you need if you are looking for a simply way to cool down your system. The 300w they offer should suck that hot air around your cpu just fine.

Yes the power supplies are 4 screws, plugs and you are done. I am sure you are aware that by positioning all of your cables and wiring out of the air-flow that you will acheive proper case cooling, which in turn allows for cooler air to blow through your heatsink (or something) :-}

So my experience was: new enermax power supply + arctic silver 2 + cable ties to clear the blocked air + intake fan + exhaust fan = 15ºF drop with increased voltage, assuming about a 20ºF drop with default voltage (Cpu volts that is). Sorry, too many heinekens' :beer: to work out the degress in C (about 1/3 so 4º or whatever)

good luck - let us know how your cooling goes!

brodo

OP
Elmo

Elmo

Thanks a lot for all the help. I think I'll start with clearing the cables for better airflow, I have 2 IDEs and 1 floppy cable directly in front of the case fan!

Any more tips on how to deal with this particular problem?

OP
Elmo

Elmo

Ok I'm off to a good start. I moved the cables out of the way of the case fan, and now I am 3 degrees C lower in case temperature.

Next I'm going to try and get my hands on variable speed enermax fans. Has anyone had any experience with them?

brodo

hey elmo,

I do not have any exp. with enermax variable speed fans, unless you are talking about the ones in my power supply.

I have a Thermaltake case fan with a heat sensor that I suppose is a variable speed fan. However in my case I wanted it to sense a bit more heat than just the average air in my case (this is a rear exhaust fan, btw) - so I positioned the heat senesing diode close as possible to my AGP card (Geforce4 mx440).

I figured that would give me a few more rpms, without going overboard and taxing it to 5000+.

Anyway, glad to hear the 'cable tucking' worked out. A couple of rear/side/psu exhaust fans and MAYBE (works for some, works for me) a front intake fan.

brodo

OP
Elmo

Elmo

I changed my mind and decided to take the easy option of putting back my old 80mm 50CFM Sunon on to the cpu, and use the spare case fan as exhaust.

My new temps are 45 idle 50 load.

There's only one problem, at the back of the case where the holes are for the exhaust fan, there aren't enough holes. It looks like they were only meant for a 40mm fan. But I'm using an 80mm. Should I drill more holes?

Silver

Senior Citizen (aka old fart)
I probably would the next time that I tore the whole thing apart. It would also be a good time to maybe add a fan depending on the current setup.

eobard

Give me a break Senior
Getting back to the thermal compound (sorry, I only just noticed this thread now) if you're not too confident with putting the compound on I suggest you go with Arctic Alumina. It's non-conductive so you can afford to spill a bit. If you can't find any AS or AA even the cheap radio scrap brand stuff is better than the pad. I think I shaved 3c off my temps when I went from pad to generic compound.

Caffinehog

Übercaffinated Member
Arctic silver can be found cheap online. Give it a shot. It may sound complicated, but you'll soon find that it really isn't. The cooling you'll get will be worth every penny and every bit of the time you spent trying to figure it out. Good luck!!!

Silver

Senior Citizen (aka old fart)
Caffinehog said:
Arctic silver can be found cheap online. Give it a shot. It may sound complicated, but you'll soon find that it really isn't. The cooling you'll get will be worth every penny and every bit of the time you spent trying to figure it out. Good luck!!!

Second that however in a pinch or on the weekend when I need it right away, etc..the ratshack stuff will get you by. I have no need to anymore as many of these little coolers I buy (latest a jag) come with a little packet of thermal grease and I just throw it in a corner to help others out or use when the tube of as goes dead.

Caffinehog

Übercaffinated Member
And those heatsinks are good performers for the price. And quiet, too. The G-lite was (just) sufficient for my 1600XP!