• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Athlon 200MHz FSB hotter than 266MHz FSB chips?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DJH

Do Athlons running with the 200 MHz run hotter that the newer 266MHz FSB CPUs?

I put an Athlon 1.2GHz chip (AXIA) with a Glaciator HSF on my Asus A7V motherboard. Motherboard Monitor shows 47C just browsing the net. Anything strenuous will push it to 50-51C. Room temperature is about 25C. I'm wondering if these chips naturally run hotter because they are configured at 100 x 12 in the BIOS instead of 133 x 9. Could this be why the temperatures in various reviews seem to be 7-8 C lower?

I've got a server at the office with the same motherboard, CPU and case. It runs pretty steadily at 41C. Do some chips just run hotter?

Asus A7V MB (Jumper mode, voltage default mode)
AMD Athlon 1.2GHz
Glaciator HSF ( Arctic Silver II )
Idle: 45C (Suspend mode will drop it to the mid 30's)
Load 51C

I just think that these chips run at a higher default voltage and that gives you a higher temp. My 200mhz AVIA runs at 1.87 and was a bear to cool.

no, the bus speed doesn't matter, just the processor speed and voltage for heat output.

My AXIA is at 1.81 volts. It seems it is just a naturally hotter running chip. I found a little program called 'Vcool' at http://mpet.freeservers.com/VCool.html. It's made a significant difference in my temperatures. It's showing 39C CPU right now. Without it I'd be have 47-48C on the CPU. The motherboard is showing 29C. I realize this will not help with maximum temperatures.

I still can't figure out why I can't get lower temperatures with the just the Glaciator. Even with the case open and the fans blowing it would run at 47C just browsing the Internet. It's not overclocked. I changed the multiplier to 12.5 and got 1300MHz but I picked up 2C so I set it back.

DJH (Jul 23, 2001 12:11 a.m.):
My AXIA is at 1.81 volts. It seems it is just a naturally hotter running chip. I found a little program called 'Vcool' at http://mpet.freeservers.com/VCool.html. It's made a significant difference in my temperatures. It's showing 39C CPU right now. Without it I'd be have 47-48C on the CPU. The motherboard is showing 29C. I realize this will not help with maximum temperatures.

I still can't figure out why I can't get lower temperatures with the just the Glaciator. Even with the case open and the fans blowing it would run at 47C just browsing the Internet. It's not overclocked. I changed the multiplier to 12.5 and got 1300MHz but I picked up 2C so I set it back.

These types of programs basically add a HLT instruction to the CPU when not in use. A lot of BIOS already contain this, but some do not. Another way of obtaining this is to use WPCREDIT and WPCSET to edit registers. For intance on a KT7 it's register 52.

Back