• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Athlon 750 Slot A

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brosken

Registered
I have come over an Athlon 750 slot A cpu. Decided to make a system for my little sister with it as base. But now after I have it running for 15 min or so (when it has reached normal temp) it locks up and doesn't seem to like the world at all. I'm using an old P2 heatsink and a pretty ok fan. Have felt the sink and it doesn't get hot at all. The thing is that I'm using an old 235W PSU. Could this generate the sudden lockups or is it just that I'm using to crappy cooling??
Can't give you any temps because I think the temp-reader is out of order (varies within seconds).

The MB is an MSI 6195 (K7Pro).

deathstar13

FSB FRIEK
will the mobo let u increase the voltage on the cpu?mine has jumpers on the mobo.ep-7kxa+ i love it myself.
dont sound like the cooling is the problem.mine stays warm and thats it and reads 34c on motherboard moniter. is most likly around 45c im sure.mines oced with 1.95vcore

look in the bios and see if u can get a voltage reading on the 3.3 and 5v lines.should have a hardware moniter.

mine runs on a 250wt psu that was in my gateway. its holding its own now at 744mhz 6.5X115fsb. but when i add my gold finger device and jump the multi up i might need a better psu.

try motherboard moniter to look these temps and voltages up.
aoafiles.com has it.

DManeKid

have you tried reseating the hs? you might have put it on wrong...i have done that one before ;) (backwards) also that psu might just not have a good 5v line, it would explain it working for a while then not working.....bc the lines like to drop every now and again and i bet thats when your computer freezes...dont buy a new one just yet, try it with a psu you know would work...this is just a suggestion, not a known solution....

OP
B

Brosken

Registered
Yeah. I will try it with the one I'm using for my Tualatin system (300w P4 ok). I have motherboard monitor installed on my amd-system and the voltages do vary pretty much. The cpu vcore can jump up to as high as 1.85v sometimes (1.6v set in bios). Haven't kept my eyes much on the 5v-lines though...

TY for your help.

smudged

Lock ups are common with that board. I had similar proplems with mine.
This is what I am guessing is happening:-
You can get to desktop then after what can be from 3 to 15 minutes everything freezes.

Which graphics card are you using? Are you using a reg hack/ oc app to get it to run at more than 1x AGP?

This was what caused the problem for me.
I found the only way to aleviate it was running at AGP x1 rate or by going into the BIOS and running the FSB at 95 instead of 100.

let me know how you go on I may be able to help you out with a link to an earlier thread if you need it.

RyanRichard

i dont have that paticular board, but im quite fond and have a few slot-a's. i would reset the bios to standard defaults and go from there. The power supply IMO should be at least 250W for these guys. last time i checked it was about 45- 50 whats for a lower speed SLOT and 60-70 for the bad boy speeders at 900-1G. Also ill go with the consensus and say check the Voltages. :) good luck....oh and btw..these d00ds can take a beating and work, ive had a heatsink half-off for a month before i got my VOS-32, and its still going strong. So OEM cooling should suffice.

OP
B

Brosken

Registered
Ty all for your suggestions.
Maybe it is of essence that I tell you that it freezes wherever I am, after it has been running for a while. In bios f.e. Can't get into windows either. It freezes at load. Or sometimes all I get is the dark-screen. All that helps is to start it up cool. Anyway, this couldn't mean that it is the fsb that is the problem I think... But it seems odd to me that it should be temperatures that is the problem. I have the PSU that is suckin in air and blowing it right on the cpu-heatsink and then a casefan that is blowing it out a bit further away. As I see it it is quite good airflow in there. But then again all that seems to explain the lockups would be the temp...

I have an old Asus riva TNT 16mb graphicscard btw.

smudged

The PSU sucks in cool air form outside the case and blows (once warmed by the PSU) it into the case? Can't say as i have come across that before.

Have you tried running with the case open? Maybe get a desk fan blowing into it. If you've got MBM5 that will work great with the K7 Pro. If you can get into windows then use that to see what is happening with your temps.

I am guessing that the AGP prob is not affecting you with your card. Have you tried getting the most recent BIOS for the board?

Saying that I would suggest you get the system stable at BIOS before try to flash the new version. A failed flash would not be good! Try the MSI site and look in on their forum for the K7 Pro maybe you can get a few ideas there.

Are you running a Slot A Thunderbird or plain old athlon? Thunderbirds are only supported with BIOS version 1.3 I think.
MSI older boards

DManeKid

smudged said:
The PSU sucks in cool air form outside the case and blows (once warmed by the PSU) it into the case? Can't say as i have come across that before.
i have and i actually own one....its called a dell! but i know that one isnt bc they dont use amd! (unless he just used the case and psu? :eh?: )

edit- btw, is that a transformer icon in your avatar? it looks like one...

OP
B

Brosken

Registered
I have the newest bios installed.
MBM detects 3 different temp-sensors. At normal temps they show 35, 32, 32. In bios the systemtemp is about 32 and cpu about 35 (they differ from second to second). Well, I think I must get some serious cooling to this puppy after all. And open up the cpu and change the cooling-paste to AS3 between the core&cache and the cooling-plate.

smudged

The slot A in my sig was running @ 45'C with full load. Thats with plain old thermal compound and Akasa dual fan h/s.

edit- btw, is that a transformer icon in your avatar? it looks like one...

yes it is, it started out as a plain autobot symbol when I first started posting back in March, then I tried to jazz it up abit. I have only seen 1 more transformers avataar on the boards so far. I don't know who's was first tho.

NO LIFE

I would say its the cooling. If your h/s isn't hot at all then ther is a good chance it doesnt have good contact with the chip and isnt transfering any heat to the h/s. A not warm h/s is a good sign that its not doing its job. I look for a hot h/s when I have finished installing one...that tells me that the heat in in the metal of the h/s and not on the chip.

Thats my help.

OP
B

Brosken

Registered
Well, I did set the AGP from 2x to 1x and it seemed to cure the sudden lockups. Espessialy when starting demanding programs. Also I have run it on a P4 300W PSU but it didn't make any difference. So now I thought all was well but then I noticed that the comp freezes anyway after a while. It seems that the cpu is getting hot, but mb-sensor reports cpu-temp around 32C (case-temp 31C and PSU-temp 28C). The cpu-temp doesn't seem to go higher than 32C. I wonder what it measures and if this is correct. If this is the case then the cpu isn't getting hot at all. I have also felt the plate on the cpu (the one the heatsink is fastened at) and it isn't at all hot. Could it be that the cpu core doesn't have enough contact with the plate? When I look at the cpu from the side it seems to have contact. And I have enough cooling paste between core and plate too. I know this because I opened the cpu up once and changed the original paste in favour of AS3. A lost cause it seems... :(

deathstar13

FSB FRIEK
as ive stated up ^there. that is a socket thermisiter reading your temps its off. off by about 10c.mines folding and says 33c. its most likly 43c tho.

try a little vcore adjustment that might help the lockup situation.i dont think its a heat issue couseing the problems tho.screen freezes are coused by the ram or agp. might wanna fiddle with the ram timings and see if it helps.could be the ram just isnt upto snuff and is failing. looser timings might help.as with the agp sometimes going to 2x as u stated helps.

juliendogg

that 750 is a t-bird right? or a classic? i know this sounds simple and maybe off the wall a bit, but try switching your ram to different slots, that's helped me in similar situations before. i'm not familiar with that board, but it's an amd 750 chipset right? so it should have no problem if your slot-a is a t-bird. i think the kx133 chipsets had a hard time with the slot-a t-birds...... took the 750/756 to support them right?

OP
B

Brosken

Registered
It's a classic. Std voltage 1.6v and that is what I have set it on. Mem-timings don't do a thing. But I will double check though. I will be damned if I ain't gonna get this beast stable. ;)

deathstar13

FSB FRIEK
no my kx133 chipset supports slotA tbirds upto 950mhz.
but only like 4 chips in that range i think i saw it supports tho.

good idea on changeing the ram slots around.its been a long time since ive heard that sujjestion but it is a true and helpfull one.also try and bump the vcore up a bit.1.6v?
hmmm mines 1.75 default. might be the tbird is differant tho. but double check the default vcore for yours.1.65v shouldnt hurt a thing and might help stability and will only bump temps up a tad.just watch em closly at first to make sure its fine.

alot of the older ocing tricks are getting forgoten as we go on to faster and differant things.

NO LIFE

I would say if nothing else works try taking off the hs and reinstalling it. Clean off all the thermal goo and take a re-do. If that doesnt work maybe try getting a new one. They are really cheap. Your hs should be warm if not hot. You said it wasnt even warm...that sounds like trouble to me.