• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Athlon 900 MHz or Duron 1.0 GHz?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mbigna

I've got a bunch of free (or cheap) stuff lying around that I have gotten over the last year and want to put together a cheap 'backup' system (at least, that's what I'll tell my wife...). I have everything except a motherboard, CPU, and video card.

I have decided upon an ECS K7S5A motherboard because it's cheap ($52 at Newegg, anyway) and has everything on board. I have bunches of free sticks of SDRAM 133 lying around doing nothing to slap in the thing.

I'm looking to score a used video card somewhere (see the link in 'Wanted': http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=73910 )

But I'm trying to decide on a CPU for the thing. I can get a 1.0 GHz Duron for $49 (Newegg-free shipping) or, for $52, an Athlon 900 200 FSB Socket A (locally, no shiping).

What are the implications of one over the other? Is the slower speed Athlon a better performer?

Keep in mind if the Duron is a Morgan that it's effectively a "Duron MP" with all the guts an Athalon MP has minus the extra cache and with a slower default bus rate. If it is a Morgan I'd take it over the Athalon but that's just me.

eobard said:
Keep in mind if the Duron is a Morgan that it's effectively a "Duron MP" with all the guts an Athalon MP has minus the extra cache and with a slower default bus rate. If it is a Morgan I'd take it over the Athalon but that's just me.
Aren't all Durons over 950MHz Morgan cores?

Under a gig: Spitfire

Over a gig: Morgan

At a gig: either (Don't you love the simplicity of it all. :rolleyes: )

eobard said:
Under a gig: Spitfire

Over a gig: Morgan

At a gig: either (Don't you love the simplicity of it all. :rolleyes: )

I love the simplicity:burn: :eek: :cool: I wish everything was like that:)

Any way you go duron\Athlon as long its amd you cant loose

I believe with the price of a 1gig Morgan you can get a 1gig Tbird which would own..

I'd get the Morgan, their core are the XP cores, just that they only have 64k L2 Cache which makes the big difference and the mhz difference.

Edit:

The 1gig morgan will overclock much better than a Athlon 900 regardless of L2 Cache difference.

Back