• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Athlon 950 T-bird Slot A with Soyo SY-K7VIA, what happens?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

klrwhizkid

I have friend that bought a combo deal from Tigerdirect. What he received was an Athlon 950 Slot A T-bird and the Soyo K7VIA (KX133 chipset)mobo. He installed the mobo, properly installed a dual fan heat sink (shipped with the processor) and then installed the processor in the mobo. Upon power-up nothing happened, no video, just p/s fans and heat sink fans came on. I determined that the proc is a T-bird and AMD says that it won't work with the KX133 mobo. My friend has since bought a 550 K7 classic Athlon, but when it is installed in the mobo, the same result; p/s fans, heat sink fans, nothing else.

Did the T-bird damage the mobo and vice versa to the T-bird?

klosters64a

Your friend will probably investigate hardware compatibility before he opens his wallet in the future. I usually do, but the lure of retail therapy does bite once in a while.
I only have experience with Soyo 5EHM's. Both died, one quickly, the other needed a year. Soyo mainboards are crappy. Avoid them. Try to RMA the board, it is probably at fault in this case. Good luck.

OP
K

klrwhizkid

We have determined that the motherboard was DOA. It is being returned and a Gigabyte 7IXE has been ordered.