• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Athlon CPU and an ABit KT7-A

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dogubit

Registered
I posted at Motheboards, but no replys so maybe the wrong place or wrong site even? Any info you can give please, I'm googled out, thanks.

I have a system that has an ABIT KT7-A non RAID MB with a Duron 750MHz CPU, a friend of mine did an upgrade and gave me his AMD Athlon 2000 CPU.
The info from the black sticker on the CPU is this:

AMD Athlon
AXDA2000DUT3C Z332734271667
KIXHB 0337WPMW 1999 AMD

And a white sticker:

CR17X3OR-32195

Belarc Advisor gives me this info on the MB and BIOS:

Main Circuit Board
Board 8363-686A
Bus Clock 100MHz
Bios Award 6.00PG 8-24-01
750MHz Duron AMD

System Model
VIA VT8363

What I would like to know is if I can install the 2000 chip into this MB?
I did some reading here at OC and see people have put up to 2500 AMD into this board, but I'm not real up on what will and will not work and feel most here are up to speed on this swapping stuff. If it will work could someone point me to what settings will need to be set in the soft BIOS to run this chip please? I'm not wanting to overclock this, because I would like the system to be dependable and be able to run 24/7 without sudden restarts or whatever.
I have a Copper Orb Heatsink on the 750 now and would use it if it will do ok.
Any page's/links you could direct me to would be good, not looking for spoonfeeding, but I don't want to hose a good working system that I do have right now. Please no telling me to buy another MB, because I just went through a divorce and money is tight and I'll just box and store the CPU for another time if it will not work. Thanks for reading and putting up with my extream newbe mind.

My guess would be that you could run this chip in that board.

Here's a link to the manual, btw. It isn't specific about which 'Athlon CPUs'. It may report the CPU type incorrectly in the BIOS, but it'll probably function normally.

Looks like you've got an unlocked TBred B (by about two weeks). It also looks like your board supports multiplier adjustments up to 12.5-which is perfect if you just want to run that chip at stock (133x12.5).

Download CPU-Z here. It'll give you speed, multi, FSB and it'll ID the memory. You're currently running at 100 FSB, You'd like to switch that to 133. You may have PC100 in there. That memory might take 133 FSB, it might not.

Last edited:
Updated info

Thank you FlailBoy for your reply, I downloaded the CPU-Z and have the report and will post it below, but not being to up on the settings of Volt settings and multiplier adjustments, would it be to much to ask what the settings should be to run this CPU. When I built this system the Duron 750 settings were listed in the MB manual so it was simple, but I haven't a clue what setting I would use for this other CPU. Thanks again for you reply and any further information you could offer. CPU-Z log below.

CPU-Z version 1.33.1 CPUID Output

Number of CPUs 1
Name AMD Athlon XP
Code name Thoroughbred
Specification Unknow CPU Type
Family/Model/Stepping 681
Extended Family/Model 7/8
Package Socket A
Core Stepping B0
Technology 0.13um
Instructions Sets MMX, Extended MMX, 3DNow!, Extended 3DNow!, SSE
Features
Clock Speed 1250.0 MHz
Clock multiplier x12.5
Front Side Bus Frequency 100.0 MHz
Bus Speed 200.0 MHz

DIMM #1
Memory type SDRAM
Size 512 MBytes
Max bandwidth PC133 (133 MHz)

DIMM #2
Memory type SDRAM
Size 256 MBytes

DIMM #3
Memory type SDRAM
Size 128 MBytes

Last edited:
Ok-more info than I needed. :)

Good news is that you have PC133 in there. If you still have the manual (or just use the link) you'll want to set your FSB to 133. IIRC, correctly you had options to set your FSB and memory frequencies separately. With PC 133 you don't have to do that. Set them both to 133.

So assuming the chip runs (and it should), it may auto detect it correctly. Generally it should assign the correct Vcore.

Anyway:

Go into your BIOS and set the FSB, mem fequency to 133.

Set the multiplier to 12.5 (the highest you can go).

Set your Vcore to 1.65v.

That's pretty much it.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your help and the supplyed info, your a credit to the site I'm sure. If all works well I'll shoot another reply to ya and more thanks.

dogubit said:
Thanks for all your help and the supplyed info, your a credit to the site I'm sure. If all works well I'll shoot another reply to ya and more thanks.

Thanks.

And post results even if it *doesn't* work... :cool:

She not likeing this to well,
first let me tell you what settings I have in the soft bios:
CPU operating speed: user defined or it will go from 500(100) to 1000 @ 50MHz increases, @ 1000(100) then it has settings of 1000(133), 1050(100), 1100(100), 1133(133), 1150(100), 1200(100), 1200(133), 1200Above, 1333(133), 1400(133) and then back to user defined.
At user defined I can enter multiplier factors X5 to X12above and nothing more, no 12.5 setting there. And it is X12above thats how it reads,fyi.
Next is CPU FSB/PCI Clock: Settings from 101/33MHz to 155/38MHz but the only setting at 133MHz is 133/33MHz or 133/44MHz so I'm not sure where to go there, I'm at 133/33MHz right now.
Then there is a setting for:
CPU FSB Plus that setting is at 0 right now, but will go from 0 to 28.
CPU Power Supply = CPU Default or User Defined.
User defined values: Core Voltage from 1.100v to 1.850v @ .025 increases, currently at 1.750
I/O Voltage will go from 3.20v to 3.90v @ .10v increases, currently @ 3.40v

Thats all I have there, but under the Health BIOS Tab I have fyi,
43c CPU Temp
31c System temp
and show a VCore @ 1.63 but I have no idea where that setting comes from, because I dont show any "VCore Setting" anyplace.

Now when the system will boot, once or twice it has failed, but when it will boot the BIOS is showing it at CPU unknown and 1248MHz and CPU-Z tells me:
AMD Athlon XP
Thoroughbred, core speed 1250.1MHz

But Memory is still showing at 100MHz for some reason and as you could see I do have PC133 in all the slots, so I don't know whats up with that.

Right now I'm on my laptop, not the system I'm working with and I'll have to be off line untill midnight, next 7 hours or so, but I will check back then and see if you have checked in and have any more thoughts or want any more info. Thanks again.

To add to the above info I was in safe mode when I opened CPU-Z and it didn't give me all the info , but now I'm booted the right way and it tells me(CPU-Z that is) Same info for CPU name but added info of:
Voltage 1.575 to 1.563, but most of the time is at 1.575 only to drop to the other for 1/2 sec or so.

Core speed: 1250.1MHz
Multiplier: X12.5
FSB 100.0MHz
Buss Speed:200.0MHz

Memory

FSB:DRAM 1:1
CAS#Latency 3.0 clocks
RAS# to CAS# Delay 3 clocks
RAS# Precharge 3 clocks
Cycle time (Tras) 6 clocks

Didn't know if any of that mattered or not. OK gone for some hours now, will check back then.

set the fsb to 133,the core voltage:auto,in the bios.
and if the temp is over 45 C,change a better cooler,because the .13 tb athlon xp is very nice and cool:

richou, did you not see what I posted?

< Next is CPU FSB/PCI Clock: Settings from 101/33MHz to 155/38MHz but the only setting at 133MHz is 133/33MHz or 133/44MHz so I'm not sure where to go there, I'm at 133/33MHz right now. >

And there is NO "core voltage:auto" setting.

dogubit said:
richou, did you not see what I posted?

< Next is CPU FSB/PCI Clock: Settings from 101/33MHz to 155/38MHz but the only setting at 133MHz is 133/33MHz or 133/44MHz so I'm not sure where to go there, I'm at 133/33MHz right now. >

And there is NO "core voltage:auto" setting.

First of all-dogubit-maybe edit your second post. It's way too long. Most people aren't going to scroll though all of that. You may get a few more replies.

Ok, the board auto-detected the needed voltage, so that's where the 1.63 comes from. That's just beneath the CPU's 1.65 stock voltage so don't worry about that for now. It *might* be a PSU issue, but it's probably just more to do with the sensors on the board.

I'm on crappy dialup right now so I'm not gonna' try to open the manual from here. Do you have the manual btw?

Anyway, you said something about 'softbios'. Does your board have jumpers to set a few configurations manually?

EDIT: I didn't open the manual but I found an old review. It does not use jumpers to set FSB, multi, so nevermind about that.

What OS are you using and do you know how to flash a BIOS?

Last edited:
Edit done and the OS is XP Pro SP1 and yes I have flashed the BIOS once right after I got the board, it didn't like the ATI video card I had and yes I do have a factory retail manual, list support up to Athlon 1GHz based on 100Hz FSB and also list support for 200MHz Alpha EV6 bus for the AMD Athlon & Duron CPU's, fyi. Any thought why the Memory will not set to 133?

dogubit said:
Edit done and the OS is XP Pro SP1 and yes I have flashed the BIOS once right after I got the board, it didn't like the ATI video card I had and yes I do have a factory retail manual, list support up to Athlon 1GHz based on 100Hz FSB and also list support for 200MHz Alpha EV6 bus for the AMD Athlon & Duron CPU's, fyi. Any thought why the Memory will not set to 133?

Actually, if you're running at 1250, it's your FSB that isn't going to 133.

Don't know if this will help, but try running it with just the one stick of 512.

EDIT: And I'm still on dial-up. I should have a chance to check out the manual again on Monday. We're just missing something I think. It looked like there were some pre-set configurations that could be used. If we can get the FSB running at *101*, you'll be on your way.

Last edited:
Ok, try this:

Go into the BIOS and pick one of the preset 'FSB/PCI' configurations. Select 105/35. Honestly, there's no reason to run the PCI bus at anything faster than 33, but you don't really risk any corruption of data at 35.

Boot it up like this and note the results.

Then go to the 'FSB Plus' section and pick 28 (the highest number) and try it again at this setting. Should bump your FSB to 133 and since you're running your memory in sync, it should do the same thing for it.

Last edited:
Ok, did as you requested at last post and this is what I have now from CPU-Z and I have another question, what speed (MHz/GHz) out of the box would this CPU run at? FYI: I also updated to the last BIOS that was made for the KT7-A board and I had to use the "user defined" setting for the CPU "1200above" in order to have the multiplier of x12.5, so do we do anything else or do you need any other info? Thank you for all your time and efforts also.

Name AMD Athlon XP
Code name Thoroughbred
Clock Speed 1669.6 MHz
Clock multiplier x12.5
Front Side Bus Frequency 133.6 MHz
Bus Speed 267.1 MHz
Northbridge VIA KT133A rev. 03
Southbridge VIA VT82C686 rev. 40
Graphic Interface AGP
AGP Revision 2.0
AGP Transfer Rate 2x
AGP SBA supported, enabled
Memory Type SDRAM
Memory Size 896 MBytes
Memory Frequency 133.6 MHz (1:1)
DRAM Interleave none
CAS# 3.0
RAS# to CAS# 3
RAS# Precharge 3
Cycle Time (tRAS) 6

DIMM #1
Size 512 MBytes
Frequency (MHz) 133
CAS# 3.0
RAS# to CAS# delay 3
RAS# Precharge 3
TRAS# 6

DIMM #2
Size 256 MBytes
Frequency (MHz) 100 133
CAS# 2.0 3.0
RAS# to CAS# delay 2 3
RAS# Precharge 2 3
TRAS# 5 6
DIMM #3
Memory type SDRAM
Size 128 MBytes

Last edited:
dogubit said:
Clock Speed 1669.6 MHz
Clock multiplier x12.5
Front Side Bus Frequency 133.6 MHz
Bus Speed 267.1 MHz
Memory Frequency 133.6 MHz (1:1)

The stock speed on that CPU is 1667, so it's right where it's supposed to be.

Not exactly cutting edge anymore, but taking a kt133A running at 100 FSB w/ a 750 Mhz CPU to where you have it now is going to yield a *huge* performance gain.

Well done.

dogubit said:
so do we do anything else or do you need any other info?

If you look at the goal you set for yourself in your first post, you've met it; so no-you don't need to do anything else.

dogubit said:
Thank you for all your time and efforts also.

You're welcome. And a somewhat tardy :welcome: to the forums.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply FlailBoy, I know this system is not the latest and gratest, but wow it sure is faster than what it was and seems like a brand new toy to me. To bad the forum hasen't a ranking system because I'ed give you 100+ A++ for all the help you have been. So I guess for now it's time to say so long and I know I said it a time or two already, but thanks a lot for sticking with me and giving of your knowlage to help me do what wasent ment to be done. 1000 thanks out to you (:)

Im guessing your more then satisfied at this point but.. I did happen by this and read the long posts ;)
You did come to an overclocking site to get it running no ;)

What are your temperatures at this point? Running on a stock cooler?
and your bios does have the option of pushing it further (the up to 155FSB settings) if your not running too hot or unstable. (Im not sure what's a good easy application to test one of these, maybe PCmark04 and memtest for quick stability?)

good luck if you wish to push it any further.

greenmaji said:
...You did come to an overclocking site to get it running no ;)

LOL Well, he does have a point... :burn:

Assuming it runs well for you like this, I'd say just enjoy it for a while. Then if you're ready to nudge it up a bit, go back to the same sections of the BIOS and select the 136/34 configuration and go to the 'FSB plus' section again and start by setting this to 0.

What that will effectively do is to run your FSB at 136 and it will bump up the speed of your processor to 1700 (136x12.5). i.e. each bump up of 1Mhz on your FSB will increase the CPU speed by 12.5. At 136, you probably won't even need to increase your Vcore. If you wanted to play it safe, bump it up by .25.

Speedfan is another handy little program to have when you start overclocking things.

It does not appear you can increase Vdimm (unless I missed it) but *most* memory can be overclocked at least a few Mhz w/o increasing the voltage.

dogubit said:
AGP Transfer Rate 2x

One thing you should probably do right now even if you don’t want to overclock yet…you have an option in the BIOS for ‘AGP 4x’. Looks like you have this disabled. If your vid card is less than about five years old, enable it.

dogubit said:
Plus this thread is getting kind of long and I don't want to abuse the forum.

Nothing wrong with a lively exchange of information. That's the way we like it out here. If you wanna' see a long thread...do a search for "It's So Easy".

Last edited:
Greenmaji reply

greenmaji said:
What are your temperatures at this point? Running on a stock cooler?
and your bios does have the option of pushing it further (the up to 155FSB settings) if your not running too hot or unstable.

Thanks Greenmaji for your post, Answers to your questions are:
Temp reading from MBM are CPU 45c, Case 34c
Heatsink is a Dragon Copper Orb with a 7180RPM fan
Case Fans: 2-80mm front intakes, 2 out from the PWS and a 80mm 84 cfm Tornado 5700RPM out take almost touching the Orb's grill, needless to say it's not quiet.

I'm not and never have been impressed with the HS, but it's what I have.
The system has been stable so far @ over 2 days nonstop, but the biggest load its had is surfing and downloading from web, burning a DVD and having about 10 page's open at the same time or viewing an AVI with all the other going on except the burner. So my guess is it's somewhat stable. This system runs 24/7 so not so sure I'ed want to push it to far. From what I had to what I have now is a grate inprovement. Plus this thread is getting kind of long and I don't want to abuse the forum.
But I'm willing to take a look at whatever you mite want to offer, as they say, speed is good, it's just the crash that hurts.

Back