• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Athlon CPU and an ABit KT7-A

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
When or if you decide to mess with the overclock a bit on this cpu you will be very surprised how much faster this thing will run. I have the 1700 version of this chip with the unlocked multiplier and am currently running @2.2GHz on air with a crappy low end ASRock board and the cheapest memory that I could find! :)

dogubit said:
Thanks Greenmaji for your post, Answers to your questions are:
Temp reading from MBM are CPU 45c, Case 34c
Heatsink is a Dragon Copper Orb with a 7180RPM fan
Case Fans: 2-80mm front intakes, 2 out from the PWS and a 80mm 84 cfm Tornado 5700RPM out take almost touching the Orb's grill, needless to say it's not quiet.

I'm not and never have been impressed with the HS, but it's what I have.
The system has been stable so far @ over 2 days nonstop, but the biggest load its had is surfing and downloading from web, burning a DVD and having about 10 page's open at the same time or viewing an AVI with all the other going on except the burner. So my guess is it's somewhat stable. This system runs 24/7 so not so sure I'ed want to push it to far. From what I had to what I have now is a grate inprovement. Plus this thread is getting kind of long and I don't want to abuse the forum.
But I'm willing to take a look at whatever you mite want to offer, as they say, speed is good, it's just the crash that hurts.

first Id suggest you run a bit of prime http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm (small FFTs) to stress test the machine
then post the temps under load
also watch the PSU voltages

D

stabob said:
When or if you decide to mess with the overclock a bit on this cpu you will be very surprised how much faster this thing will run. I have the 1700 version of this chip with the unlocked multiplier and am currently running @2.2GHz on air with a crappy low end ASRock board and the cheapest memory that I could find! :)

plz tell me you have an agp/pci lock, thats alot of fsb if you dont

D

FlailBoy said:
One thing you should probably do right now even if you don’t want to overclock yet…you have an option in the BIOS for ‘AGP 4x’. Looks like you have this disabled. If your vid card is less than about five years old, enable it.

Well the video card is an ATI RADEON 9000 so I have no idea about the AGP 4x thing. I'm not up on modding this stuff.

FlailBoy said:
Nothing wrong with a lively exchange of information. That's the way we like it out here. If you wanna' see a long thread...do a search for "It's So Easy".

Well I PMed stabob on some of this exchange, but if it's ok I'll just keep the post going untill the system is smoking or dead I guess,lol.
I sure do thank all of you for you knowlage and links(FlailBoy & ZL1). I'm going to go get the two you have posted and get them installed and I'll let ya know what happens soon. It may be Monday before you see me again because I have my 8 year old this weekend and not going to be at the key board much. Have a grate weekend all of ya.

Ya that 9000 should def support AGP 4x.

From what I recall on using that chipset, it was stable up to about 142 fsb (on my Asus). Might be a way to trick the board into using higher multipliers (or the chip might have some of them re-mapped). You might want to try one of the lowest multiples the board gives you (say the 500(100)) setting and see how it boots at 100fsb... it might suprise you with 1300@100. If thats the case, you wouldn't have to worry about the non standard fsbs above 133.

plz tell me you have an agp/pci lock, thats alot of fsb if you dont
No lock he he
The pci bus is at 37MHz and is totaly stable if I up the fsb by 2 it wont even boot
I forgot to edit my sig though I keep it at 184 now

dogubit said:
Well the video card is an ATI RADEON 9000 so I have no idea about the AGP 4x thing. I'm not up on modding this stuff.

Well I PMed stabob on some of this exchange, but if it's ok I'll just keep the post going untill the system is smoking or dead I guess,lol.
I sure do thank all of you for you knowlage and links(FlailBoy & ZL1). I'm going to go get the two you have posted and get them installed and I'll let ya know what happens soon. It may be Monday before you see me again because I have my 8 year old this weekend and not going to be at the key board much. Have a grate weekend all of ya.

:)
have fun :beer:

stabob said:
No lock he he
The pci bus is at 37MHz and is totaly stable if I up the fsb by 2 it wont even boot
I forgot to edit my sig though I keep it at 184 now

you're hard is at risk man, it may be stable, but in the long run you may end up with corrupted data

D

Well don't see "speedfan" doing much as far as fan speeds go, but I'm used to the system noise anyway, temps and rpm's are just about the same as with MBM + or - 2 or 3 rpm's and temp + or - 1c on average. Did see the system get up to 52c running the other program, but it was hot @ 42c for system temp at the time in a non A/C room and 90+f outside/inside (Florida afternoons). The system has been up and running for 6 days non stop so far, but I still haven't changed the AGP to 4x, but will when I get back into the BIOS. So where do you all want me to go now?

dogubit said:
So where do you all want me to go now?

LOL

You might not want to leave that up to us. :)

You’d have the option to do an old-fashioned bridge mod http://homepage.ntlworld.com/misterblokey/html/overclocking.html to this chip to access the higher multipliers (the only real way to get a big overclock out of the CPU on this board), but honestly I wouldn’t even bother. If you want to see if you can get a casual overclock, just mess around with the FSB/PCI configuration as mentioned above.

Have fun with it for now. If you have an opportunity to get another socket A mobo (with some faster memory) for cheap, post out here and we'll give you our 2 cents on it.

Back