• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Athlon II X3 -Is it really neccessary?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chaos

Just happened to be browsing Newegg's site for procs and saw the 2 Athlon II x3's on there. I know AND is trying to make a profit on whatever they can and I'm not trying to bash them for it at all, but why whould you get an Athlon II triple core when you can get the quad core Propus for 10 to 20 dollars more???

petteyg359

Likes Popcorn
Why would you get an X2 when an X3 is only $10 more? Why get an X3 when an X4 is only $10 more? Why get an X3 when a P II X2 for the same price, or a P II X3 for $10 more?

Try this answer: Price.

Not everybody has $10 more, or feels the need to have an extra core and the extra power consumption thereof.

ps2cho

Instead of binning the chips that could otherwise make a profit and work fine as an X3.

Would you rather throw your leftover rice in the trash or feed it to the dog?

OP
chaos

chaos

Gotcha--like I said however they're able to make an extra buck..

Dolk

I once overclocked an Intel
Somewhat necessary.

Here is how I see the AMD lineup for clients.

The Phenom Series are for those that want to game, do hard core overclocking, do anything that is considered "extreme" or part of the ultimate series of computers.

The Athlon Series are for those that are looking to build a computer and sometimes need a bit of a boost. This depends on if you need the X1, X2, X3 or even the X4.

The Sempron is for the ultimate low. Extreme budget, something like ITX, or just people that need an internet computer.

Hope that helps.