• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Athlon MP chips?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Goo Kenson

What's the point of Athlon MP chips? I know people run dual systems with normal XP chips, so what's the point of MP? Less voltage, less heat? Something?

warrentee that states that, the MP you just bought will work flawlessly in smp, and if it doesnt amd will replace it. if your xps dont work in smp your SOL...

Goo Kenson said:
What's the point of Athlon MP chips? I know people run dual systems with normal XP chips, so what's the point of MP? Less voltage, less heat? Something?

I read the Athlon XP and MP datasheet..
MP chip dissipate less Heat then XP at same Performance rate:
Exp.
Athlon XP 2200+ 67.9 ; 61.7 Watt (Maximum;Typical)
Athlon MP 2200+ 60.0 ; 54.5 Watt

This is very interesting..

Temp

In order to run *most* XP chips, you need to unlock one L5 bridge (the early XP's didn't have this bridge cut, so they're good to go right off the bat).

Depending on the medium you use to close the bridge, and how removable it is, obviously affects your warranty. If it's a fairly permanant medium (ala, defogger grid paint)...goodbye warranty.

I think most run the XP's because they're incredibly cheap, fast, and very easy to modify (by closing that one bridge) for SMP.

Price. Biggest reason I believe.

I have unlocked 8 XP's for use in SMP systems. All of them have run flawlessly from day one. 6 of these CPU's were cheap XP1600's from Newegg. For $55 each, you can't go wrong, in my opinion.
The other two were XP1800's from TCWO, they are running in my file server at work and work beautifully. Can't remember exactly what I paid for them, but I know it was less than I would have paid for MP's.

Back