• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Athlon XP 1600 AGOIA 0226 (good overclocker?)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MoonWolf

Fold For 32!
I guess the subject of this thread speaks for itself. I would just like to know if the AGOIA 0226 is a good core for overclocking before I go out and buy one. Please post any experiences with this core, if possible.

-Wesley

Tipycol

MoonWolf said:
I guess the subject of this thread speaks for itself. I would just like to know if the AGOIA 0226 is a good core for overclocking before I go out and buy one. Please post any experiences with this core, if possible.

-Wesley

What type is it? If it's Y, it will probably do good, but then again it's different for every chip. Some people get good OC's with Agioa Y 213 and other people can't get more than 100MHz out of it. It all depends on the chip and the setup the person uses it with. Hopefully it will do good.

Good Luck with your OC

Tipycol

juliendogg

as said, depends on your setup and a little luck with the chip, agoia seems to be just about the best o/c chip around atm. i've gotten mine to load windows at 1975 2.0v. agoia 0213. is stable at 1910 1.9v.

OP
MoonWolf

MoonWolf

Fold For 32!
Do I HAVE to raise the voltage? Cant I simply raise the fsb to 166 and run it at 1743 (I dont have the confidence to unlock yet)? Or... does the voltage rise automatically as the fsb increases?

Another problem: Duron 1.3 with 256 RAM NOW or... 1600+ now and RAM later (maybe) and possible PSU issues on my 250w (125 3.3+5) and power hungry K7S5A?

The Coolest

MoonWolf said:
Do I HAVE to raise the voltage? Cant I simply raise the fsb to 166 and run it at 1743 (I dont have the confidence to unlock yet)? Or... does the voltage rise automatically as the fsb increases?

Another problem: Duron 1.3 with 256 RAM NOW or... 1600+ now and RAM later (maybe) and possible PSU issues on my 250w (125 3.3+5) and power hungry K7S5A?

Definitely get a good brand PSU! the 250 watts won't be enough. And believe me I got two crap 300 watts and that is the main reason I can't overclock more than I am at now :(. I would also go w/ CPU now RAM later

About the voltage, the voltage only changes when you manually change it in the BIOS or on the board, when you overclock the CPU might get unstable, so to compensate for the speed that the CPU "wasn't meant" to run at you have to raise the vcore, except adding more heat to that your cooling will have to handle, and by not going volt crazy (2.1 or more) you're not in real danger, unless the CPU's running very hot (50+C°)

Last edited:
OP
MoonWolf

MoonWolf

Fold For 32!
Hmmm... what about this... I have an extra 90w PSU that I took out of a VAIO Celery 300 system. I was thinking I could use this to power the drives (2HDD 1CDROM) and the 250 to power my K7S5A and CPU ONLY. I think it just might be able to crank out enough energy to do at least that. I plan to put the 1600+ AGOIA 0226 into my current system with the AK32L and do some heavy overclocking (may unlock) and the 1700+ I have here into the K7S5A without overclocking. I'm on a tight budget here... need to raise $8 for the nice stick of 256 SDRAM and then I don't really know where I'm going from there. The case I planned to make my new system into is dismantled and is slowly being painted (cant get the damn paint to go on evenly). I might just go buy another case with a 400w PSU in it for like $35. This is my local compy shack crap store: www.askacs.com they dont know jack and I could run circles around any of their employees... yet, they won't hire me cause I'm only 15... but thats another story.

Anyway... Ill see if i can raise some more $$$ to get the stuff I will need.

What do you think of the 250w+90w combination... is it worth a try?

Also... those stability problems... I had them when I ran my system at 11x161 (did not know about core voltage yet) and my system would constantly lock up during gaming. Would raising the vcore slightly erase those problems? How much would I need to raise it? (I remember raising the vcore on an old AMD K6-2 to 2.6 just to see if I could :p)

And one last thing... Do you think my Crucial 256 DDR 2100 will support 166 on my processor FSB?

-Wesley

Last edited:

skane

I'm running a locked 1600+ AGOIA 0226 Z that does 10.5x167 with 1.75 vcore. Haven't got around to unlocking it yet to see where it tops out.

juliendogg

you should be able to get to 166 on the default 10.5 multi, most of the agoia's seem to be able to do this, mine did the first day, then i got greedy and unlocked. also, you should be ok with the ram, may have to relax the timings a bit, my corsair 2100 does 166 no problem. and last... you aren't gonna believe this, i do 166x11 perfectly stable with a 250w psu. luck maybe? who knows, i never will. i'm shoppin for a 480w or so now. i can run 1910 and it's almost stable, except the 5v rail drops to low @ that speed and it will reboot on me, and like i said, i can get into windows at 1975 but again, serious problems with the 5v rail.

that said, i would recomend some more juice, using both psu's may work for you, better than just the 250w anyway, there's a sticky in cases and power supplies about using 2 psu's and a couple diff ways to do it.

OP
MoonWolf

MoonWolf

Fold For 32!
Ok, thanks alot. I dont think I can afford the new PSU setback right now. I want my new system and I want it NOW!

Skane... thanks for sharing, I ordered mine last night... my 1700+ does not want to pass 157 fsb... 3dmark locks up every time I go to 2100+ speeds.