• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Athlon XP 2000+ Temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chris1980

I just build the system below some days ago and have put a Papst fan (1500upm, 35cfm) on my AX7.

The temp goes to 50degrees at idle...even if I take a fan with 3000upm (it then lasts just a little bit longer..)..

I'm coming from Intel and am a bit worried about those temps.

I also tried SiSoft Sandra 2002 SP1 BurnIn Test. I just selected CPU Arithmetric and Multimedia Benchmark (nothing else) and HighStress Mode.

The temps don't exceed 57degrees...

Is that too high?
Is that normal??

deeppow

I'm not sure how you're mobo measures temp. If that is on-die (measured in the cpu) then it is quite reasonable. If it is a diode under the cpu as most boards have done in the past, it should be OK but is higher than typical (low to mid-40s underload). I'm running about 9C above ambient underload with air cooling and using a Vcore of 1.85V for stability at my 200fsb, see sig below.

I assume you used AS3 between the cpu and ax7? :cool:

Last edited:

kinglouiex

According to AMD these chips can take temps up to 90c but I would say 85 would be the extreme cut off point but I think you are ok if you want to go cooler either go to water cooling or reposition some of the things in your case ( IE round IDE cables) hope this helps and WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF AMD :beer:

OP
C

Chris1980

AMD XP 2000+ Temp

kinglouiex said:
According to AMD these chips can take temps up to 90c but I would say 85 would be the extreme cut off point but I think you are ok if you want to go cooler either go to water cooling or reposition some of the things in your case ( IE round IDE cables) hope this helps and WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF AMD :beer:

I've already got round cables and so on. The Case temp is about 33-40degrees depending on usage....
I will try some case fans too...

Thx for this info....

Garfield

kinglouiex said:

90C!!! Wow, that's some core temp. I've never seen a temp go that high. :D Haven't seen anybody post in the 70's, or maybe I'm just not looking hard enough ... ;)

OC Detective

Chris1980 said:
I just build the system below some days ago and have put a Papst fan (1500upm, 35cfm) on my AX7.

The temp goes to 50degrees at idle...even if I take a fan with 3000upm (it then lasts just a little bit longer..)..

I'm coming from Intel and am a bit worried about those temps.

I also tried SiSoft Sandra 2002 SP1 BurnIn Test. I just selected CPU Arithmetric and Multimedia Benchmark (nothing else) and HighStress Mode.

The temps don't exceed 57degrees...

Is that too high?
Is that normal??
You wouldnt want to go much higher than that I would recommend you look at whether the AX7 is properly lapped and also that you are using a very thin layer of arctic silver. I havent heard of that particular fan so cannot comment on its effectiveness.

Yodums

Garfield said:

90C!!! Wow, that's some core temp. I've never seen a temp go that high. :D Haven't seen anybody post in the 70's, or maybe I'm just not looking hard enough ... ;)

Most likely won't see it. You either have no contact resulting in a burnt chip = 100-200 degrees! People smell the burning when their chip dies and that shows you how hot it gets. If you have it seated right, you most likely won't burn your chip unless you over volt. It will freeze before anything happens.

Yodums

Garfield said:
Yeah, I figured that. Hopefully, I'll never smell that aroma... ;)

Yep, no one wants that to happen. THG actually had a video where they tested chips where they took out the off the heatsink off a running T-Bird, XP, P3, and P4 and watch them burn. The T-Bird got up to 323 degrees or around there, celius! The XP got up to 198 degrees or around there. The P3 and P4 survived!

OP
C

Chris1980

AS3

deeppow said:
I'm not sure how you're mobo measures temp. If that is on-die (measured in the cpu) then it is quite reasonable. If it is a diode under the cpu as most boards have done in the past, it should be OK but is higher than typical (low to mid-40s underload). I'm running about 9C above ambient underload with air cooling and using a Vcore of 1.85V for stability at my 200fsb, see sig below.

I assume you used AS3 between the cpu and ax7? :cool:

Yes it's Arctic Silver 3.