• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Athlon xp 2600 wont go above 169mhz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sunnyrider

Need some expert opinions please!!

I have been able to get my 2600 processor up to 169mhz with fsb of 12.5 but when i try to go to 170mhz my system wont come on and I have to reset cmos. I tried to up the vcore but with no luck still . I've seen from the cpu data that others with this cpu can get up to much higher mhz.
its at a cool 37 c so its not hot.

Could my processor be locked?

system is:
a7n8x deluxe/2x- 256 corsair memory pc3200 /dual western digital 80gig 7200rpm hardrives/g4 4400ti vid card/ windows xp pro

thanks so much for your help.. :)

Processors do not get locked by FSB... motherboards do... try lowering the Multiplier and increasing FSB. Also could be devices such as PCI AGP or other devices attached could be an issue with higher fsb.

Last edited:
I say that your Multi is too high, lower it and then try for a higher FSB, remember, you can run a higher FSB (personal experience) as long as you have a low multi, like 10 or something.

it still wont go anywhere but 169 :(

I tried the settings at a 10 multiplier at 222fsb still wont come on and i have to reset cmos and go back to my 169x12.5 settings. Is there a limit at how high i can set the fsb, should I increase my voltage or wait on that it is set to 1.65?
is there a rule of thumb to go by here, or is this a hunt till you get it right process?
Please bear with me on these questions ...lol I am a total noob on overclocking so I am learning as I go here.

What have others succesfully ran their Athlon xp 2600 fsb and multiplier settings at?

Thanks for your guys help

best thing you could do, is back your multi down to about 10.
start the fsb where you know it's stable, say 160. then start raising it up a little at a time and letting the system boot, when you start to get wierdness from something, drop the multi one time, if that doesn't get rid of the wierdness then you've found your maximum stable fsb. then you can start to raise the multi .5 at a time to find where your chip tops out in overall mhz.

good luck
J.

btw.. with 220x10 you were shooting for 2200? does your chip handle that speed???

try 9*200. It should see if your computer can handle high fsb's. I know its an underclock so it means your cpu should be able to run at those speeds!

then your cpu or a7n8x deluxe doesn't like high fsb's! Or you have a bad stick of ram! check one stick at a time.

You may also want to relax the timings on your memory. Try a setting like 7-3-3-2 and see if you can boot. Also make sure that the divider on your board is set to 1/5, your PCI bus may be holding you back.

this is my settings at the moment that run :
cpu external frequency(mhz) 169
cpu frequency multiple setting(menu)
cpu Frequency multiple (12.5)
sytem performance (agressive)
cpu interface (user defined)
memory frequency (100%)
sdram active precharge delay 7
sdram ras to cas delay 3
sdram ras precharge delay 3
sdram cas latency 2
fsb spread spectrum 0.50%
agp spread spectrum disabled
cpu vcore setting auto
cpu vcore 1.65v

I tried my ram one at a time and although each stick works it did not help to go above 169 mhz.
Where do i set the divider to 1/5 Ill give that a try and where do i find mem voltage? Ill check on that
Thanks for the warm welcome guys your great!!!
I really appreciate all you guys trying to help me out :)

I found the problem!!

WOOHOO!!
when i set the memory frequency to "spd" it fixed the prob!
now im going up a little at a time im at 174 fsb x12.5 right now getting 2170.10mhz and im at 46/47 temp with my regular fan. how high can my temp go without having to get a special cooling fan?
I dont want it to get too hot.
Thank you guys for being here!:)

There you go, now drop the spread spectrum and go auto on it. Check sandra bandwidth with and without. Drop the 12.5 and go with something around 11 or 11.5 and see what the fsb will do. Again, check the bandwidth at 12.5 vs 11 at the higher fsb but same mhz. Take a spin or two on 2dmark2001 and see what ya got.

I had it and then I lost it

well i got it up to 200x 11 got a cpu 5562 mem 4672 and hdd 1095 in pcmark tried to up it one more time and it wouldnt start and i have not been able to get it back there again after resetting cmos.
I think , but am not entirely positive, that the memory timings are holding me back and i dont know how to set them right could that be keeping me from getting back their again?
thx once again for the help
:)

Back