• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Athlon XP 3200+ - Running too hot?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kalivos

Hey. Normally, I'm running about 54c idle. 58-59 while gaming. Now it's running about 57c idle, and 63-65c when gaming. Using a thermaltake cooler. Would you say it's about time for some re-application of AS5, or would you say both that and a new HSF? :shrug:

OP
Kalivos

Kalivos

Well, my pc just shut itself down while playing Bet On Soldier. I figure because it was overheating. Can't get it to reboot now though, so I'm hoping it isn't the powersupply.

....Any suggestions? :eek:

KillrBuckeye

Please answer the question about your Vcore. TBH, those temps don't seem ridiculously high to me. My TBred B 2100+ at stock voltage ran at 60C full load with the stock cooler. When I installed a Zalman cooler, temps went down considerably, so I pushed up my Vcore :D. I settled on 2.32 GHz @ 1.92 Vcore, with full load temps around 55C if I remember correctly. It was perfectly stable.

KillrBuckeye

Do you have a case temperature reading?

Is your CPU heatsink clean? Over time, it can get clogged with hair and dust and significantly reduce its cooling efficiency. How about the fan grilles of your case? Are they clear?

If everything seems normal, but temps are high, I can only suggest removing your HS/fan, cleaning the contact area, and reinstalling with some fresh AS5. I see no reason why your CPU HS/fan would need to be replaced, especially if you are running at stock voltage.