• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Athlon XP Identity crisis

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

brownspwn

So I know these processors aren't exactly the newest and fastest but a little help on this issue would be appreciated.

So I have a computer for day-to-day use with an Athlon XP 2000+ processor, and another with a fried motherboard and an Athlon XP 2600+. So I decided to switch these two. the installation went well, even as it was my first processor installation. However when I booted up, both the BIOS and XP said that the processor I had installed was an Athlon XP 1800+. I'm wondering if I should ignore this or find a way to get the board to recognize the 2600+. Thank you so much for helping this noob!

Thank you so much for your responses! Okay, so the motherboard is an MSI N1996. And I've been trying to wrap my head around the FSB issue as mentioned by madman7. Is there any fix for this?
GG7WA.jpg

You need 166 FSB for this CPU. Some boards do 100 and 133 FSB and some would do 100, 133, and 166. Some boards had jumpers for the FSB and some FSB freq. was done in the BIOS. The board you listed comes back to an Intel based MB. Are you sure that's the board? Is this a Compaq/HP puter? Might want to check the board model again.

I found something about an MSI MS-6390. Here's a link:
http://www.msi.com/product/mb/MS-6390.html#/?div=Detail
If it's this board, it looks like 133 FSB is all it will do so you would be stuck at where you are for the CPU.

Last edited:
Bummer. So should I replace the 2000+ or keep in the 2600+ that acts like a 1800+?

Edit: the board has n1996 printed n it but it looks like it is the msi MS-6390. Hmmm.

Board likely does not support your chip. Most after market boards have a settings in BIOS where you can select your multi/FSB to achieve the proper support. Yours is OEM and likely is lacking that option. Sorry.

It may be possible to unlock your chip and then bump up the multiplier to get closer to the speeds it was designed to hit. This being a Barton, it should be possible to do a pin-mod without having to mess around with any cutting/painting of the bridges on the chip. This calculator will show what locations need to be shorted on the CPU, socket, or PCB (I find socket to be easiest) to get a desired multiplier working.

Ignore the 133/166/200 FSB selection -- it won't help you in this situation.

Disclaimer: Its been a loooooong time since I've messed around with unlocking AthlonXPs... There's a solid chance I'm mis-remembering something and that use of the afforementioned calculator will result in the death of your cat. :shock:

JigPu

Back