• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ATHLON XP problem with stability. (semm me ur old xp?)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CryptokiD

I have had an Athlon xp 1800mhz (2200+) for a while now in my current system. By most standards it is quite old, but I do not do anything cpu intensive, so it sits there idling most of the time. This is why I haven't bothered to upgrade.
When i first got the cpu brand new, it would only overclock to 1850 mhz without causing stability problems, even with .2V increase. So I figured I just got a crappy overclocker.
Lately I have been experiencing stability problems, I eventually had to UNDERclock the cpu down to 1600mhz to solve the stability problem. This is annoying to me.
Anyone have a theory as to why this might be? I even reinstalled linux, but it didn't change anything.

specs: crucial pc2100 ram running at 200mhz fsb 2.5-3-3 +.2v, nforce, NF7-M main board, geforce 6500 video, sparkle 450W power supply, thuroughbred 1800mhz 1.65v cpu running at 1.75V @1600mhz. global-win fop heatsink with the delta 38 screamingly loud fan. i also have excellent case cooling. 120mm front fan, 2 exhaust fans, and the power supply fan. etc etc.

Before someone asks, I can run memtest86+ all day and night at 200mhz fsb (400mhz) and expierence no issues running my 133mhz ram at 200mhz, which is got to be a ram o/c record!.
If i downclock my ram back to 133mhz, the cpu is still buggy at 1800mhz. so its definitly not a ram or mainboard issue.
I have swapped out the ram, video card, mainboard, power supply and even the heatsink and there is no change in cpu stability. i have also swapped out the cpu with a duron 1600mhz, and was able to successfully clock it to 2ghz (10x200). so i think my setup is more than capable. it's just that I have this buggy cpu.
I guess is i can't figure this out, i might buy a used cpu off someone. anyone got an old socket a kicking around they wouldn't mind parting with? i would consider anything equal or better then my current cpu in terms of performance.

I would inspect the mobo actually, usually CPU's will run fine till they just die, and they almost always outlast my mobo's. Could also be your power supply dying, underclocking the cpu is making it draw less power.
On the mobo maybe a cap leaking/burnt somewhere, or a burning out power chip by the cpu. Either way that system is too old to try and save IMO, you can step up to a much more modern core system for very little money.

For instance a 790gx mobo (integrated dx10 graphics for vista desktop), 60 dollar X2 brisbane dual core 3ghz, 50 dollar 4gb of dual channel ddr2-1066.
Compared to what you are running now it is several times faster in almost every area. Memory bandwidth alone will go from 400mhz to 1066mhz dual channel. Single core 1.xghz chip to dual core 3ghz. For like 200 bucks!

You have 2 choices IMO Ebay for a used cpu or a new cpu http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductList3.jsp . I think your cpu has seen it's better days. I have CPU's here that are UC they run fine but only at reduced speeds and voltages. As to the culprit I suspect electron migration due to the age of the CPU.
pu.JPG

Before doing anything check your cooling situation for the CPU and make sure everything is ok.

Also a newer system as ststed above is not that bad of an idea.
rig.JPG
for the money this is a good setup throw in alittle more cash an get a gx mobo even better:)

Last edited:
Check the motherboard for bulging capacitors, first of all, it's within the age range when that's a common problem. Those show up most often in the power circuit for the CPU, so it is indeed possible that different CPU might not show the same symptoms, if that other CPU doesn't draw as much power.

You could try a new CPU if the motherboard seems ok... Geeks.com still has XP2200+ chips for $24, which is a lot better than Zipzoomfly's offerings.

However, I agree, unless you're sure a new CPU will solve the problem, it'd probably be better to just wait until you can upgrade to a cheap modern system.

I had an Athlon XP 1800+ which is the same series as your 2200 is and honestly that just wasn't a very good series of CPUs. I quickly ditched that thing for a mobile Barton (XPm 2600) and that was and has been a great CPU. It may be time to upgrade. What sucks is that unless you go with a used system, you're going to end up needing a new mobo, CPU, RAM and graphics card as your board uses AGP and the new boards no longer have AGP slot and use DDR2 or even DDR3 as opposed to DDR. Luckily RAM is cheap right now.

Seeing as how your needs are not requiring a beefy system you way want to look for an Intel or Nvidia chipset board with integrated graphics in order to save a bit of money.

I am quite certain the cpu is at fault. If I change cpu's my system becomes rock stable, even at overclocked speeds and raised voltages. I can run memtest86 all day and night with a duron 1600@2000 and prime95 works for days on end too. 3d loops also are rock stable. Too bad I can't keep the duron as it goes in my other system.
The I am using motherboard did have 1 cap go bad, by the agp socket. I am proficent with a soldering iron, so I fixed that problem.

Dang, I was hoping to just throw in a used cpu for a couple bucks and get at least one more year out of this thing before I splurge for a complete upgrade. I guess i'll look around at more prices and see what I want to do.

You have 2 choices IMO Ebay for a used cpu or a new cpu http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductList3.jsp . I think your cpu has seen it's better days. I have CPU's here that are UC they run fine but only at reduced speeds and voltages. As to the culprit I suspect electron migration due to the age of the CPU.
View attachment 72425

Before doing anything check your cooling situation for the CPU and make sure everything is ok.

Also a newer system as ststed above is not that bad of an idea.
View attachment 72424
for the money this is a good setup throw in alittle more cash an get a gx mobo even better:)

I had an Athlon XP 1800+ which is the same series as your 2200 is and honestly that just wasn't a very good series of CPUs. I quickly ditched that thing for a mobile Barton (XPm 2600) and that was and has been a great CPU. It may be time to upgrade. What sucks is that unless you go with a used system, you're going to end up needing a new mobo, CPU, RAM and graphics card as your board uses AGP and the new boards no longer have AGP slot and use DDR2 or even DDR3 as opposed to DDR. Luckily RAM is cheap right now.

Seeing as how your needs are not requiring a beefy system you way want to look for an Intel or Nvidia chipset board with integrated graphics in order to save a bit of money.

^^^Some of us read your entire OP^^^

I would inspect the mobo actually, usually CPU's will run fine till they just die, and they almost always outlast my mobo's. Could also be your power supply dying, underclocking the cpu is making it draw less power.
On the mobo maybe a cap leaking/burnt somewhere, or a burning out power chip by the cpu. Either way that system is too old to try and save IMO, you can step up to a much more modern core system for very little money.

For instance a 790gx mobo (integrated dx10 graphics for vista desktop), 60 dollar X2 brisbane dual core 3ghz, 50 dollar 4gb of dual channel ddr2-1066.
Compared to what you are running now it is several times faster in almost every area. Memory bandwidth alone will go from 400mhz to 1066mhz dual channel. Single core 1.xghz chip to dual core 3ghz. For like 200 bucks!

Check the motherboard for bulging capacitors, first of all, it's within the age range when that's a common problem. Those show up most often in the power circuit for the CPU, so it is indeed possible that different CPU might not show the same symptoms, if that other CPU doesn't draw as much power.

You could try a new CPU if the motherboard seems ok... Geeks.com still has XP2200+ chips for $24, which is a lot better than Zipzoomfly's offerings.

However, I agree, unless you're sure a new CPU will solve the problem, it'd probably be better to just wait until you can upgrade to a cheap modern system.

^^^Some missed what is in red below^^^

I have had an Athlon xp 1800mhz (2200+) for a while now in my current system. By most standards it is quite old, but I do not do anything cpu intensive, so it sits there idling most of the time. This is why I haven't bothered to upgrade.
When i first got the cpu brand new, it would only overclock to 1850 mhz without causing stability problems, even with .2V increase. So I figured I just got a crappy overclocker.
Lately I have been experiencing stability problems, I eventually had to UNDERclock the cpu down to 1600mhz to solve the stability problem. This is annoying to me.
Anyone have a theory as to why this might be? I even reinstalled linux, but it didn't change anything.

specs: crucial pc2100 ram running at 200mhz fsb 2.5-3-3 +.2v, nforce, NF7-M main board, geforce 6500 video, sparkle 450W power supply, thuroughbred 1800mhz 1.65v cpu running at 1.75V @1600mhz. global-win fop heatsink with the delta 38 screamingly loud fan. i also have excellent case cooling. 120mm front fan, 2 exhaust fans, and the power supply fan. etc etc.

Before someone asks, I can run memtest86+ all day and night at 200mhz fsb (400mhz) and expierence no issues running my 133mhz ram at 200mhz, which is got to be a ram o/c record!.
If i downclock my ram back to 133mhz, the cpu is still buggy at 1800mhz. so its definitly not a ram or mainboard issue.
I have swapped out the ram, video card, mainboard, power supply and even the heatsink and there is no change in cpu stability. i have also swapped out the cpu with a duron 1600mhz, and was able to successfully clock it to 2ghz (10x200). so i think my setup is more than capable. it's just that I have this buggy cpu.
I guess is i can't figure this out, i might buy a used cpu off someone. anyone got an old socket a kicking around they wouldn't mind parting with? i would consider anything equal or better then my current cpu in terms of performance.

Last edited:
No, I didn't miss the part in red, I'm saying that's not a guarantee that the board is working properly.

The later Durons generally pulled significantly less power than the full Athlons, even overclocked. If it's a power issue with your board, that could make the difference.

OP said himself that he already replaced a bad cap, I've never seen a board where just one went bad... the others might not be showing much physical symptoms, but they could still be dodgy.

Now, if you wanna try it, you can probably find a cheap Athlon on eBay, they're old enough now that they don't have a premium on 'em anymore.

I don't think it's a motherboard issue, I have swapped out motherboards to test that, and it was unstable at 1800. I have swapped out power supplies too. Same result.

I went so far as to put my xp cpu into a completely different system, and it still has the same results.

Someone on here offered me an xp3000 for $15. I guess I'm going to grab that and give it a shot. If it works, great, if not it was only $15 so I won't be upset. In you're defense, you are spot on about a bad cap on the agp slot area.

I have looked at the other caps, and tested probably half of them. none of the others seemed to be bad. In the bios, all voltages are stable and correct.

My cooling is also decent.a bit outdated, but temps are good.

No, I didn't miss the part in red, I'm saying that's not a guarantee that the board is working properly.

The later Durons generally pulled significantly less power than the full Athlons, even overclocked. If it's a power issue with your board, that could make the difference.

OP said himself that he already replaced a bad cap, I've never seen a board where just one went bad... the others might not be showing much physical symptoms, but they could still be dodgy.

Now, if you wanna try it, you can probably find a cheap Athlon on eBay, they're old enough now that they don't have a premium on 'em anymore.

I didn't highlight the mainbord part of the post sorry:cry:

Fixed it:)

Last edited:
nevermind those things are still going for as much or more than when I bought mine new like a decade ago.

Heh, yeah, those are like the holy grail of the Socket A platform. There are a few mobile Thoroughbred-B chips on eBay right now, those seem to be more reasonably priced and they generally clock pretty well.

But, $15 for an upper-end Barton and not having to deal with eBay, I'd mark that a win.

Heh, yeah, those are like the holy grail of the Socket A platform. There are a few mobile Thoroughbred-B chips on eBay right now, those seem to be more reasonably priced and they generally clock pretty well.

But, $15 for an upper-end Barton and not having to deal with eBay, I'd mark that a win.

No doubt (Stallone's voice) Go For It!!!

Just keep in mind that this is still an old cpu (even the NIB are old) and all things have a shelf life. That is not necessarily a bad thing as I still see 286's puckin along from place to place but if this cpu dies in short time then you might consider a new system. As was pointed out earlier (although indirectly) the main board can also kill a cpu if the voltage is not regulated properly.

Thrash (and anyone else) please accept my apology I could have worded that earlier post a little better but I was in a rush (Wife said eat food).

I agree, it does sound like something on the CPU has finally given out.

Check out our Classified section - there are still Socket A chips being sold there for cheap ... :)

Thrash (and anyone else) please accept my apology I could have worded that earlier post a little better but I was in a rush (Wife said eat food).

Eh, don't worry about it, dude. I did miss the part in the OP where he said he'd swapped out the mainboard.

I agree here. That's the first thing I would do.

Not trying to be a smart *** but did you read the original post?

OP swapped out all (READ:ALL) components with known working components and results were same.

Last edited:
Back