• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Athlon XP3200+ idling at 63c --- forced to use Vcore of 1.850 in Asus MB??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Beneficial

I just built a new computer that basically consists of ASUS A7N8X motherboard, a Zalman ZM400B power supply, an AMD Athlon 3200+ CPU, and a CNPS7000A-AlCu heatsink/fan.

With the CNPS7000A- running at full speed, my bios is showing my CPU idling at 63 degrees celsius, and with the fan at slow speed, it shows it approaching 70. I shut it off before it got too high. The heatsink/fan is definitely attached right and I am using thermal grease. This seems extremely high. In my bios, my CPU Vcore is set to 1.850v, and it is impossible to change this value. I updated my bios, I tried every combination of settings in the bios etc. No matter what I do I cannot change the Vcore, or select a lower voltage so my CPU won't run so hot. I've tried everything. I need some help with this if anyone knows what I can do to get the Vcore down or has any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Nevin Roche

bobmanfoo

Disabled
i don't think lowering the Vcore will help MUCH, i only see about a 5-6C difference in temps from 1.65 to 1.85..... and if i am not mistaken Asus boards report high temps

OP
B

Beneficial

Hmm,, so you think idling at 60c is ok? It might just be reporting the heat higher than it is? I don't want to burn out my CPU. If this is the case, why can I only choose 1.850v? The standard for the XP3200+ is 1.65. Seems like you would have more options than the super hot 1.850.

OP
B

Beneficial

I called ASUS, filled out a report with their help desk, and emailed them....
nothing back yet.

OP
B

Beneficial

Its board revision 2.0, and I've installed the newest asus bios ver. 1007,, i've also tried a modded uber 1007 that gives me the same error. What exactly is flashing the bios? Is that similar to resetting the CMOS? I've heard resetting the CMOS will return the values in the bios to default, but doesn't that happen anyway when you install a new bios?

OP
B

Beneficial

I had this problem with the Asus 1007 bios revision,, as well as with the modded 1007 bios. I'm about ready to give up on ASUS and never buy one again. I've spent 30+ hours now trying to solve this problem.