• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Athlon64 FX VS. Dual Opteron

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ssjwizard

Has slightly less legible writing than Thideras
Hey guys whats up. anyways i finaly have some time to get back into computers. anyways im looking at getting a new system setup. i am a video editor an im looking to get the best performance from my software. in the past multi cpu systems have allways worked better with the editing suite however recently ive heard that the new amd FX would actualy out preform the opteron in this aspect. it was my understaning that there the same core. what do you guys think??

Gautam

Senior Benchmark Addict
You'd probably get a better answer in the SMP section, however, you are correct. The FX's and Opterons are essentially the exact same core. The only difference is that the Opterons require registered memory. This doesn't hurt performance very much. I'd expect the dual Opteron to slaughter the single FX, but I don't know exactly how much SMP benefits video editing.

OP
ssjwizard

ssjwizard

Has slightly less legible writing than Thideras
well i think ill post it over in smp forum aswell. any other opinions are of apreciated.