• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Athlon64: nForce or VIA?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gautam

Senior Benchmark Addict
The VIA's perform a little better. However, the only board to date that has AGP and PCI locks is the Abit KV8 Pro, revision 1.1 I believe. Older revisions didn't have locks.

OP
Quattro

Quattro

So a ASUS K8V SE Deluxe would not have the AGP/PCI locks.

But if I got this board, would I be able to overclock it with ease or will I need very good RAM or something?

Thanks Gautam.

superamd

I need to contact Silversinksam, I WILL BE BANNED
unless you get the kv8pro wou wont get over 220-225 fsb without everything getting out of wack. I have a chaintech sk8t800 right now w/o locks and my sata raid died @ 225 :cry: . Newegg has refurb kv8pro for 93, mine should be here monday, Ill let you know if the locks work on it.

Do the pci locks work on all nvidia nforce 250 chipsets??

hitechjb1

Is the ASUS K8V/SE/Deluxe based on the older K8T800 chipset, in which the AGP/PCI lock is even more uncertain, with various motherboard implementation.

Nforce3 250/250 GB should have working AGP/PCI lock.

Jess1313

Its been very hard to fine boards that performed as need for this platform. The boards listed in the above have proved there worth.

I also have the MSI Neo Plat & there is mixed thoughts on this board. There is VMODS being worked up for it that should put this board in good standings. But as it stands right now I could not get it to run high HTT with high mem speed & had some other problems.

This being said the board did give me very good benchmarks & performance for the clock,HTT, & mem speeds that I did get with it.

There is some one on the forum that is getting good results with the MSI though & it may be that the problems are worked out just as the ABIT board went through some prob in the begining.

Good luck with your choices.

Gautam

Senior Benchmark Addict
The EPoX, Abit, Chaintech and Gigabyte boards are the ones I can recommend based on what I've seen.

The Gigabyte is still in the running, despite its lack of the nF3 250Gb chipset, simply because it appears to be the most solid, stable A64 board to date. It has support support for mobiles out of the box as well, something that none of the other boards do. The Chaintech is still a good choice because of it's value. It also doesn't appear to have any issues.

Last edited:

Gautam

Senior Benchmark Addict
$160? O_O

Abit's got just as good a name, and the VIA chipset is admitedly a beter performing chipset. It's also a great overclock from Jess' results here.

I think it may just be a better idea to wait till some reviewers get their hands on the Asus, just to play it safe. It could have its own issues that we don't know about yet. The A64 is full of surprises.

OP
Quattro

Quattro

superamd said:
kt800 pro is the BEST if you agp/pci lock to work

So which boards have this feature that actually works then?
I am not sure if I read it right, do all kt800 pro boards have sgp/pci lock?

oc_byagi

you people should know nforce 4 is not too far away. i wouldn'd be that bad to wait another 5 months if you've waited a year to buy athlon64 already. but to choose at this moment, I'll pick ASUS K8N (nforce 3 250gb), I never went wrong with ASUS boards. as the runner-ups, ABIT K8V and epox 8KDA3. I personally prefer nforce3 since it DOES have PCI/AGP lock but VIA is being fixed right now as well. you may want to take a look at ASUS K8N-E Deluxe at www.zipzoomfly.com (they had it in stock few days ago)

Sa3atsky

I too think anybody buying a Athlon64 mobo (including me) should wait for the ASUS K8N-E Deluxe reviews to surface.. As for right now my choice goes for the Abit 1.1 and the Epox (sorry MSI, I've seen some good overclocks on it..but read lots of trouble about it too)