• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ATI 9500 Pro Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
OP
Cowboy X

Cowboy X

Gigabyte ahd a release tipping their 9500 boards for this week , but i don't see them I think ATI may have stopped them . Otherwise all that can be safely said is that they should all be available in November .

funnyperson1

9500Pro is better than Ti4200, worse than 4400

The one that intrigues me is the regular 9700 MSRP is 299$ so on the streets (online) it should be in the Ti4600 price range with much higher performance...not to mention that overclocking will probably get it to 9700Pro speeds

HeXenViRii

funnyperson1 said:
9500Pro is better than Ti4200, worse than 4400

The one that intrigues me is the regular 9700 MSRP is 299$ so on the streets (online) it should be in the Ti4600 price range with much higher performance...not to mention that overclocking will probably get it to 9700Pro speeds

Oh, yes . This "intrigues me" as well :D

residentevil2

Disabled
from what i see this card is ganna be ati's performance money card. Like nvidia's ti 4200.

Its very similar in most benhcmarks with the ti 4200.

It may seem expensive now but when its actually out it wont be near that price. just like amd cpu's $400 for the 2800+ but it isnt out yet is it ?

Wackygore

I was also very impressed with the performance of the 9700 (none-Pro), for the street price of a G4 4600 you get much better performance when AA, and Anisotropic Filtering are turned on. Since enabling 2X AA on my GF3 and seeing the quality difference it makes I can't even imagine playing games with out it ever again. I can't wait to see how much better 4X AA and 16X Anisotropic Filtering is going to make my games look.

Though I too will be waiting for the DDR-II version to hit the market, but I have the best reason to waiting of all. I'm broke right now :(

PreservedSwine

Anyone else find it odd that he compared FSAA and AF like this:

9x00 series at 4X AA 16X

GF4's were at 4X and 8X AF

Shouldn't they be equal settings for a fair comparison?

Wackygore

Hes just compairing both cards at there best Quality. I just think of it like this 2X the performance AND 16X AF instead of 8X AF! Personally I think all test should be run at 4X AA and 8X AF, why would you want to run these cards on any lesser settings?

OP
Cowboy X

Cowboy X

From Anand's review , the 9500 Pro is somewhat slower than it will likely be when it actually on sale .

His marks are also less than the chiponline review leak which showed the 9500 pro on par with the 4600 and the plain 9500 where the 9500 pro is in Anand's review ! Unfortunately though chiponline's leak was only 3d mark 2001se .

Here is the review at [H] http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=Mzc0

OP
Cowboy X

Cowboy X

Just like the chiponline preview ........... the review at [H] shows the 9500 Pro beating down on the 4600 in almost every test 'cept for 3dmark .

" Even with only 64MB of RAM though, I'm sure some of these results have impressed some of you out there. The anti-aliasing and anisotropic performance results show that the GeForce4 Ti4600 is quickly becoming the card not to buy for gaming. Keep in mind that money-wise, the 9500 and 9500 Pro are posistioned to take on the Ti4200 cards that are out there. While this card is targeting the Ti4200 market segment, the results we've seen here today show us the 9500s can really go up against the Ti 4600. "

OP
Cowboy X

Cowboy X

When a 3d scene is rendered ( fully drawn ) because it is made up of many triangles ( polygons ) every straight line really has many saw tooth edges . The lower the resoloution the worse and more obvious it looks . It is also worse on diagonal lines . Back in the day to combat this ppl tried to run their games at as high a resoloution as possible ; the higher number of polygons at these resoloutions meant smaller 'teeth' in the saw tooth pattern . These teeth are known as jagged edges or jaggies .

Manufacturers starting with 3dfx released a released anti-aliasing schemes to smooth the edges ( aliasing) . They are several methods and the performance and quality vary between cards . The smoothed scenes look much better and cleaner , though with some cards with some methods look a little less crisp . Unfortunately to get this improved smoothness the graphics card must work much harder and thus there is a drop in frame rate .

The 9500 Pro according to the articles does this better than the GF4 and the frame rate drop is less .

Anisotropic filtering is a complex ( to me ) method of sharpening an image , it makes it crisper and shows more detail . But again will cost some performance to run , and drops the framerate . Here again the 9500 pro and 9700 series are said to have a faster soloution to the gf4 . This is a good combination with antialiasing since it improves the clarity of the former .

Firingsquad's review shows this stuff well .

Edit : Links http://firingsquad.gamers.com/hardware/radeon9700/default.asp

http://firingsquad.gamers.com/hardware/radeon9700/page3.asp

Last edited:

SemiCycle

notice how the lines going up and down and the one running left to right look perfect. However, the angled lines have jaggies...

Anti-aliasing Produces a blurrying effect between the stair steps that makes the line look straight.