• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ATI Fire GL2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Henry Rollins II

I got this card for 60 bucks, I just needed something while I save up for a radeon 9700pro. It still sells new for about $1000 so I thought why not? Either that or a GF2 MX.

Maybe this card is a great CAD card, but it totally sux for anything else. You cant even run most games, even though it supports 3dnow and has 64 Mb ddr memory onboard. Cant run any tests so I cant tell how it performs for sure. The picture also feels blurry compared to a GeForce mx420 pci. Installed newest drivers, flashed the BIOS, got the latest directX vers

I need a suggestion for a VGA card to replace this right away!!! I could spend $150 on it, maybe a little more. What should I get?

quegyboe

If you want a hold-over card, get a GF4 MX440 AGP. Those cards are quite fast for thier price. But then again, your probably gonna get people saying the Radeon 9000 Pro is better than the GF4 MX, but that just depends on the programs used.

funnyperson1

Henry Rollins II said:

No I didn´t.

you may want to try that..nvidia and ati drivers dont play nice together and formatting is the only way to completely remove them, though the GL2 is based on an IBM chipset (not ati's own) and that would explain why games dont work

if youre spending 150 spend 160 and get the MSI Ti4600 offa newegg :)....and yes the 9000Pro is better than the MX440 (depending of course on the game);)

OP
Henry Rollins II

Henry Rollins II

Yeah maybe it is a driver issue. Cant reformat though, have two harddrives but I need to keep whats on both of them. So either a new harddrive or a new VGA card. I can run CS as it is, and performance seem to be on par with the GF4 mx420 PCI(=bad). What could one expect of this card if it was working properly?

Unfortunatley newegg doesnt export and I live in europe. :( Cheapest ti4600 here is the Asus V8460, priced at $270.

The choices I have is about this:
*ti4200 64 Mb $160
*8500Le 64 Mb $100
*8500Le 128 Mb $140
*9000pro 64 Mb $120
*9000pro 128 Mb $140

Last edited:

funnyperson1

if it was one of the ones based on an Ati chipset then i wouldve probly kept it, but i dont think IBM will do much gaming for you lol