• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ATI Mobility RADEON 9000 128mb???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Albreck

is that good for a notebook??? if so, with the s-video what my resolution may be, on a proyection tv???? also does it gonna run UT2K3 with all in high with no prob??? Splinter Cell (DX9)??? comments???? does someone know where may I get a composite s-video cable???? thanks

FleshEating Bob

It is one of the best mobility GPUs, however it will not run UT2003 with everything on high (Unless you don't mind a relatively low FPS rate [Not extremely low {5-10} but still likely a bit choppy in large battles])

PHEER MY 1337 USE OF MULTIPLE BRACKETS!!111!!!11!!1one!

EDIT: It's a DX8.1 card if my memory is functioning correctly (BTW, anyone know the stock clockspeed of human brain tissue?) , so if Splinter Cell is indeed a DX9 game (Though IIRC the minimum reqs. lists DX8.1 minimum), it may not run correctly.

OP
Albreck

Albreck

:( hummmm.... well at least it may run both with realative good FPS??? right... it's there something better for notebook now??? if so where???

FleshEating Bob

of course...the 9600 mobility probably half laptop battery life...

EDIT: Ok, I've gone WAAAYYYY too long without sleep, what I mean is, I'm sure such a powerful GPU in a laptop certainly decreases the laptop's battery life (Not a good thing if he wants to use it for games).

Last edited:
OP
Albreck

Albreck

it helps... :D thanks
half battery??????!!!!!!! ok.... any notebook with a 9600????? and a super battery??? :)

bubba gump

bdw8 said:

??? What do you mean?

He means it will suck up a lot of the battery knowing how much of a power hungry card this is, and on top of that it is a mobile GPU which i imagine but am not sure has a different power requirement to run comparable to a normal desktop card

OP
Albreck

Albreck

about battery... well... I may use my notebook wall plugged.... so... don't worry "much" about power... think....

bdw8

If you don't worry about power, I'm guessing the 9600pro would be the way to go. Did you check out the review? How do you like it?

OP
Albreck

Albreck

nice review... it helps alot :D
still try to find where I may find it... one question... if I have a ati9000 on my notebook I can change it to a 9600 right???? or I just can't????

12si

Well, don't worry much abt power. The fact that centrino has longer batt. times prolly compensates for the g/card ;)

bdw8

Yeah, at the product info about the 9600 at the ati website, they have a special feature for battery saving. Also, I don't know what your spending limit is, but they are also putting out a mobility 9200. That is a 9000pro with dx9 support and some extra stuff.

Well, I have looked all over and I can't really find a place that sells laptop video cards. This may be because its not really upgradable (except I read something about soldering :eek: ). It also may be because they aren't released yet. I'm not sure when but I would think they would be released soon. I don't have a lot of knowledge of laptops, but I think that you might have to buy the graphics cards already in the notebook...I could be wrong though...

I will keep my eye out for places that sell mobilities..

OP
Albreck

Albreck

oks... I look at ati site and they say something about " ATI's FLEXFIT™ technology brings together the MOBILITY™ family of pin-compatible mobile graphics processors", also on this review http://www.gamersdepot.com/hardware/video_cards/ati/mob_9600_prev/001.htm they change the vid card.... well I think... not a clear pic of it....
well, when you may think that 9600 will be released???? thanks for the help...

bdw8

I'm not sure when it will come out, but I would say within this month...I could be wrong.

There has to be someone in this forum that knows. I'm curious too...please help us out.

TIA...

OP
Albreck

Albreck

hope so...
so... vid card on a notebook can be changed??? ex. and what if a vid card on a mobo get screw??? just change the vid or all the mobo???

bdw8

I'm pretty sure it can be upgraded, but again my laptop knowledge is pretty limited. I don't see why you wont be able to upgrade a laptop, including the graphics card.

I've learned a lot about mobile graphics from helping you find information. Thanks...heh.

FleshEating Bob

I think that you can only change the GPU on newer laptops which have the FLEXFIT technology incorporated into the mobo. On every notebook I've seen (Which mostly consists of old laptops my cheapskate relatives get for their kids, then ask me to fix because they think it's broken, when in reality it's just an ancient POS that isn't gonna run any games newer than Doom), you'd have to replace the whole mobo if the GPU got fried.

OP
Albreck

Albreck

jejeje.... so that mean that YES!!!! I can upgrade my vid card to a 9600!!!!! :D :D :D , well my future notebook had flexfit tech.... so... that mean yes right????!!!! I'm so happy....
by the way check this link... you may like it...
http://www.applefritter.com/hacks/laptops.html it's about modded notebooks... (mac's)
hey bdw8 don't worry I'm new on this too, here we are talking about my first notebook... , so I'm learning too.... jejejeje