• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ATI/NV Silencers available at Newegg

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
from other forums, it seems the the x800s benefit more from the new silencer than the 6800s

I just installed an ATI 4, and the results are impressive.

Stock cooler, idle: 34°C
Stock cooler, load: 67-69°C

ATI 4, idle: 30°C
ATI 4, load: 50°C (OC'd to 560/580, 20min of ATItool 3D)

atitool doesn't push the gpu to the max, use the log option in atitool, it will let you see the max and min of your gpu temps, play far cry for about 20 min then check the log

REVIEW

KrisMCool said:
I just installed an ATI 4, and the results are impressive.

Stock cooler, idle: 34°C
Stock cooler, load: 67-69°C

ATI 4, idle: 30°C
ATI 4, load: 50°C (OC'd to 560/580, 20min of ATItool 3D)

where you testing at? antarctica?

I too have the ati silencer 4 for my X800 pro. I never ran it at stock speeds with this cooler, since I flashed to 16 pipes/XT PE clocks since I've had it. At XT PE clocks and 1.4 volts it idles at 33 and its load is about 58. At 1.55 volts and 585/600, it idles at 36 and load is 62.

too much crap about comparing stock to vga silencer rev. 4. We want to see a comparision between rev.3 and rev.4!!! Do I make my self clear damnit!? lol jk. but is their a big improvement over previous revision?

100mbHD said:
too much crap about comparing stock to vga silencer rev. 4. We want to see a comparision between rev.3 and rev.4!!! Do I make my self clear damnit!? lol jk. but is their a big improvement over previous revision?

Ditto :D

100mbHD said:

I will say that my ver3 is anyware from 10c lower then stock temps, or more in many cases.

funny how I get lower temps in doom3 the BF:V...lol

mica

100mbHD said:
in idle or load? because those differ..... as KrisMCool pointed out in post #63

the conditions change.

if your talking to me, then at load.

think about 4c lower at idle, and at least 10c lower at load as compared to the stock cooler...with the ver3

so if I was getting 70c with stock cooler, then I'm getting about 59c now at full load.
yet every game is differant, some is lower still.

I'm wondering, is the price differance worth it?
what do you think?

mica

mica if your card is stable with the cooler you have anything more is just bling bling.....your computer help you get a date lately? Id save the cash.....

micamica1217 said:
if your talking to me, then at load.

think about 4c lower at idle, and at least 10c lower at load as compared to the stock cooler...with the ver3

so if I was getting 70c with stock cooler, then I'm getting about 59c now at full load.
yet every game is differant, some is lower still.

what do you think?

mica
i don't think the price difference is worth it, say the 10$ vs ~35$ thats a 3.5X more $$$, its definitly not worth it atm because the new ones are no where near 3.5x better, it wouldn't make it over one decimal point, at most the new ones are a few C cooler, i would just spend the time and money modding your current silencer with a fan, screws, zipties, shroud maybe and what not, my temps dropped an ADDITIONAL 10C when i had the x800 and modded the silencer, it never touched 50C. all i did was remove the plastic over the hs with a dremel and had 2 80mm attached beneath it. if you didn't already have the rev.3 then i'd say get the ati4, but its just not worth it atm, i'd hold out till the price drops and get it later, unless you have a card that ur rev3 can go on then i guess it might justify it enough to get a new one ;)

7-16-04%20142.jpg

7-16-04%20145.jpg

No its not that much better than the previous silencer...It is way superior to stock HSF.

Does seem made better and does cool ram.....

It removed all my artifacting in 2003 though at much higher ocs..

do you have ramsinks?

cuz if you do they will have to come off for the four, of course..

Last edited:
thanks guys,

what do you think?

I never said I was thinking of getting it....just if it was worth the HUGE price diff.

lol...again, thanks

mica

I am amazed of the build quality of the ati silencer 4. It was the first hsf i had put on a video card and it took around 10 minutes, most of which was spend applying the thermal paste. It dropped my temps 10c on idle and 10c+ on load. I'm very happy with it!

Lol I spent all my money GETTING the 6800GT. Maybe if it drops to 30 after shipping I will pick it up with some new ram. I need a job, which is kinda hard for a 17yr old in California.

NaNoBLaZe01 said:
i got the 9800p with the 9800xt pcb (got it from newegg) im still using the stock, is it worth getting the rev4 over the rev3?
probable will be worth it if you are planning to cool the ram, rev3 + ramsinks will be around 25-30$ shipped, if you do decide to get the Ati silencer, frozencpu has it for cheaper

i have an ATI radeon 9800 pro 128 MB. It looks exactly like the attatched image. I know the sites say the AT3 won't fit it, but by the looks of the thing i don't see why it wouldn't. What do yall think?

note the holes in the card between the ram chips, exactly where the screw things are on the AT3 cooler

Attachments

• 9800Pro-128MB.jpg
    9800Pro-128MB.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 229
Back