• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ATI + PhysX

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jaym14

Sorry if this has been covered, but I'm wondering how I can set this up on my new build (i7920/W7/HD5870) card.. do I just need to buy an old Nvidia card and set it as the secondary display device and enable PhysX?

antipesto93

i built a similar setip for a friend, i just stuck a 9800 in after installing w7, then install the physx drivers - performance increase is defo worth it in physx enabled games like batman

jediman

It used to work. Nvidia disabled it. You either need to get pre-185 drivers or get the hack to fix it. Look in the HardOCP Physics forum for the hack.

OP
Jaym14

Jaym14

It used to work. Nvidia disabled it. You either need to get pre-185 drivers or get the hack to fix it. Look in the HardOCP Physics forum for the hack.

I thought they disabled it but recently re-enabled it? Can anyone confirm this?

OP
Jaym14

Jaym14

So I can get any of the cards listed in the link, pair it with my ati card, enable PHYSX and thats all there is to it provided nvidia did not disable it? It does not matter which nvidia card I use as long as it supports physX? An old GeForce 8600 GTS 256 MB card would be the same as a new GTX 290 since its not going to be the primary display device, correct??

Automiketic

i dont think it was a mistake i see the result and this note: Please note that this result does not comply with the rules defined in the Driver Approval Policy for 3DMark Vantage and will not be visible on default result search on the ORB or on the Hall of Fame. Please ensure that you are using approved display drivers and system software versions provided with 3DMark Vantage or use the "Disable PPU" option.

Disable PPU is to disable physics. he ran it with physics on giving him the rediculous 40K+ cpu score.

jediman

Yes Nvidia still hates you and has broken the drivers on purpose and has not corrected their insulting action. http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1451689 that forum post tells you about good people who dislike nvidia's actions enough to hack nvidia's code so that you can use the products you purchased as originally intended. These people are your heroes, nvidia considers your heroes their enemy.

grunion

Registered
i dont think it was a mistake i see the result and this note: Please note that this result does not comply with the rules defined in the Driver Approval Policy for 3DMark Vantage and will not be visible on default result search on the ORB or on the Hall of Fame. Please ensure that you are using approved display drivers and system software versions provided with 3DMark Vantage or use the "Disable PPU" option.

Disable PPU is to disable physics. he ran it with physics on giving him the rediculous 40K+ cpu score.

That's the whole point, to show him that the physx hack works.

OP
Jaym14

Jaym14

ok I was able to see it... :santa:

So if I was to pick up an old 8600 gt on ebay for like 20 bucks, pair it with my ati card and do the hack it should work?