• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ati radon 9800 pro or is it not

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

angellonewolf

Registered
i am looking at a new card i have at the moment at 9700 pro and geting
5100 points in 3dmark 03 i was looking at a 9800 pro
but have been told that the board has a 9800se chip set is this a real 9800 pro it is said to have

on the description from site

Chipset
- RADEON 9800SE

Support Memory/bandwidth
- 128MB DDR SDRAM
- Quad-pipeline

Connectors
- VGA
- TV-out (S-Video connector)
- DVI Connector

i can see it is a real 9800 pro as i throught they have ther 350 vpu core chip

i think they have got the description wrong or the chip set wrong

the price is good as this makes me think

thanks for your help in advance

HousERaT

Senior Air Extraordinaire
welcome to the forums!!!!!

This is not the card you want if you already have a 9700pro.... this is a special edition 9800 which means its been crippled. only 4 pipelines means its more like a 9600 than a 9800... leave that thing alone. A real 9800pro is what you probably would like to upgrade to and if money is no objection then you should be looking into a x800pro or above.

OP
A

angellonewolf

Registered
any more thoughts over clock my 9700 pro as doom 3 runs bad
at 1000x + with detail on high with no aa or af

HousERaT

hmmmmmmm.... I played D3 on my system and it worked o.k. I was able to get 40fps on the high setting (had it overclocked to the specs in my sig) with it fully overclocked I can get 6000 in 3dmark03. Your 9700pro still has some life left in it.

OP
A

angellonewolf

Registered
HousERaT said:
hmmmmmmm.... I played D3 on my system and it worked o.k. I was able to get 40fps on the high setting (had it overclocked to the specs in my sig) with it fully overclocked I can get 6000 in 3dmark03. Your 9700pro still has some life left in it.

would i need to put extra cooling on my 9700 board to over clock the card
as the other bits in my pc put the temp in the case at 40

HousERaT

angellonewolf said:
would i need to put extra cooling on my 9700 board to over clock the card
as the other bits in my pc put the temp in the case at 40

yikes..... 40°C, that's kinda toasty...... Yeah if you plan to overclock I'd stick a VGA Silencer on that thing..... since the inside of your case is so warm it should even help in getting some of that heat out of the case. You might want to think about putting some small bga ramsinks on it too.