• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ati strikes back?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

funnyperson1

i remember people comlpaining about UT2003 and several other games with Nvidia "the way its meant to be played" commercial, but yesterday i when visiting Ati's site i saw that Raven Shield (tom clancy's newest) was "optimized for graphics by Ati"...funny thing is that its based on the unreal engine, and it crashed when i tried to start it up lol

quegyboe

I think ATI is trying really hard to attract attention. They offer that trade up program where you can trade in ANY graphics card, and they will give you more than it's worth, just to get you to buy one of thier products. That sounds pretty agressive to me! Also, they are trying to push newer tech out aswell...stuff like GDDR and such. I think ATI is doing good, and they should keep it up!

*EDIT* Another thing that's interesting is, that John Carmack is supposedly "optimizing" Doom 3 for ATI cards aswell. ATI seems to have quite a bit of support...after all, Nvidia had to pay the Unreal people to support Nvidia the way they do!

OP
funnyperson1

funnyperson1

TheFrag said:
I can see it now "Optimized for Matrox"

so now the two people that actually have parhelias can get the ultimate gaming experience :).....

jk Mosp:D

and i agree with you quegyboe, Ati is really straining to advertise....though the ScreenSavers are sponsored by Nvidia :(

HotKoala

eheh

Actually ppl have made one for every company, including ImgTech, or...well, whichever company made Kyro. I just know ImgTech is the parent company.

I like Matrox mostly because of their support...some things about the company, however, needs to change if they want to survive. Advertising for one...

Whatever happened to hot chicks like the G400 days? Now we have a bald canuck sitting in a chair.

OP
funnyperson1

funnyperson1

HotKoala said:
eheh

Actually ppl have made one for every company, including ImgTech, or...well, whichever company made Kyro. I just know ImgTech is the parent company.

I like Matrox mostly because of their support...some things about the company, however, needs to change if they want to survive. Advertising for one...

Whatever happened to hot chicks like the G400 days? Now we have a bald canuck sitting in a chair.

PowerVR is probably what people made for the UT2003 intro....they were great till they died another casualty of Nvidia's rule

yeah, Matrox and AMD really need to advertise imho...they have great products but very little market share

and i must say the Radeon 8500 chick really impressed me :), and i think it helped improve the image of Ati from slow cards with good image quality and dodgy drivers, to one of a kickass performance card company which improves your chances with the ladies :cool: at least for some of the younger generation

and also Mos, where is lansdowne? i think i member goin to a golf resort once with my dad on a business trip there, is it near a hospital? cuz i think it was close to the place where i first got my cast for my broken arm, and how far are you from Sterling, pm me with info :)

skid

Did you guys see that ATI is getting hooked up with Intel an thier new Hyper Threading stuff?

ATI is all over the place, while nvidia runs a flash screen of "are you ready"

HotKoala

funnyperson1 said:

and also Mos, where is lansdowne? i think i member goin to a golf resort once with my dad on a business trip there, is it near a hospital?

You are dead on. I work in Sterling Park. 15-25 mins away.

I killed my PM's. I hate PM's. Get on ICQ.

cack01

ATI has to do anything in their power right now to get attention. B/C the next week is going to belong to NVIDIA, and therefore they have to beable to stay in people's minds. Otherwise the NV30 will win just b/c of marketing power.

OP
funnyperson1

funnyperson1

HotKoala said:

You are dead on. I work in Sterling Park. 15-25 mins away.

I killed my PM's. I hate PM's. Get on ICQ.

no icq, ill catch you on aim sometime but dude thats awesome i live like 15 mins away from Sterling (Herndon) lol.....if i ever have a lan ill hook you up lol

mbentley

Gloriously Lead, Overclockix Chief Architect
quegyboe said:
I think ATI is trying really hard to attract attention. They offer that trade up program where you can trade in ANY graphics card, and they will give you more than it's worth, just to get you to buy one of thier products. That sounds pretty agressive to me! Also, they are trying to push newer tech out aswell...stuff like GDDR and such. I think ATI is doing good, and they should keep it up!

*EDIT* Another thing that's interesting is, that John Carmack is supposedly "optimizing" Doom 3 for ATI cards aswell. ATI seems to have quite a bit of support...after all, Nvidia had to pay the Unreal people to support Nvidia the way they do!

haha does that mean i can turn in my ati xpert 98 and get 50 cents??? :D and believe me, i am using the 2nd computer in my sig and the 8 mb video is killing me! hehe but that is because it's technically my parent's computer and i am home for the weekend (need to steal some food :p) still, it's better than the original 1 mb integrates s3 crap! i once had to use the xpert 98 in my computer cause my video card died and talk about bottlenecking the processor! hehe anyway, i think that ati is doing exactly what they need to do in order to stay in the spotlight. in business, you are either growing or dying... it's just the facts of life i suppose and it appears ati is definitely growing, not dying.

quegyboe

I have decided to move to the ATI camp for a little while. I am very quickly loosing interest in Nvidia, and gaining respect for ATI...that and the fact that ATI is a Canadian company...GO ATI!

*EDIT* Hey funnyperson1, I think you need to update your avatar! You don't even have an Nvidia product anymore....LOL

OP
funnyperson1

funnyperson1

quegyboe said:
I have decided to move to the ATI camp for a little while. I am very quickly loosing interest in Nvidia, and gaining respect for ATI...that and the fact that ATI is a Canadian company...GO ATI!

*EDIT* Hey funnyperson1, I think you need to update your avatar! You don't even have an Nvidia product anymore....LOL

woah, i hadnt even thought of that...maybe ill track down RedHotMachine and see if he can change my avatar to an ATi symbol and a PIII to celeron.....thanks for reminding me:D

and a Rage Pro turbo? i know i was raggin on G4 MXs but theyre not that bad lol:D jk

cmcquistion

IT Director Senior
ATI still has crappy drivers, period.

Their business model seems to be, "Hurry up and get a piece of hardware on the market, we'll worry about drivers later!"

Yeah, MUCH later, sometimes 6-12 months before there is a decent set of drivers.

Forget it. I joined the ATI camp when the R8500 came out. One of the worst hardware decisions I ever made. I spent so much time trying to get that card working, it's pathetic. THE WORST hardware decision I ever made was getting a Radeon 7500 AIW a couple weeks ago. How long has this card been on the market? The drivers are still screwed up. Messed up my Win2K so bad, I had to format and reinstall.

One thing I'll give Nvidia is that they make good drivers, consistently. I've never had problems with Nvidia's drivers, but I've had nothing but problems with ATI. I've had at least half a dozen ATI cards that have had drivers issues consistently, for YEARS!

OC Noob

I bought my first ATI card and the drivers (i downloaded the latest Cat. drivers, not the boxed ones) gave me no problems. I had a problem that was my fault. Maybe its the user and not the drivers.

That poor driver excuse is pretty weak. Sure you see people popping in with issues with ATI cards. I see more people posting with problems with NVidia cards. Lots of people come here for support for their cards, not just ATI owners.

ps Try the newest drivers from ATI and you won't have a problem.