• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ATI XFX 4870

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

doncaster21

Registered
hi, i got a new pc. Upgraded from this:
Pentium 4 3.06GHz
2GB RAM
Galaxy 8400GS
160GB Harddrive
windows xp proff

my new set up is:
AMD 9850x4 2.5GHz
XFX 4870 (was standard but i overclocked it using CCC)
4GB RAM
1TB HDD
windows Vista
anyway i have no idea how overclock anything but basically had a guess using CCC. my card now has:
GPU clock 765MHz
Memory Clock 945MHz
anyway i have dont the test and it says i have passed but how much could i take this card to on stock cooling?
i have the fan mosly on 100% when played cod4,cod5 or MW2
but sometimes keep it at 100% al time but sometimes 80% when out of game. what could i take this card to? how much would it improve performance ? also would it be reliable?
thanks for all help and replays and remember,
XBOX 360 is ****
xD lol
thanks for help

I can't imagine running the cooling fan at 100% all the time. Not only would it be pretty loud, but you'd decrease the lifespan of it that much quicker. I believe the 4870 SHOULD automatically downclock at idle as well.

I keep my primary HD4890 at 55-60% idle and 65-70% under gaming. Currently only OC'ing to 1GHz on the GPU and 1100 on the memory with temps hitting around 70*C for Borderlands (Crossfire off) and around 60-65*C with GTAIV (Crossfire on). That's with limited airflow due to another graphics card sitting right below it.

Not sure if any of that helps, but IMO, having the fan up that high all the time really isn't good for it. I'd imagine 85-90% is the max i'd have my fan going under full gaming. 65% is the max i'd run it at idle. If your OC is pushing the temps too high at those fan speeds, it might be too much.

well at idle, fan speed at 70% my temps are around 77C and in game, fan speed at 100% in cod4 i get temps up to 93C and in cod5 i got temps of 97C. also i 3d mark vantage, fan on 100% i got 109C i think, 100+ anyway

Wow...i honestly think that's too hot. Maximum temp. on that card should really never go over 85*C. Granted GPU's run warmer than CPU's, but I wouldn't think by that much.

It doesn't look like you're overclocking it THAT heavily (this your card? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150436), but with those temps, i wouldn't recommend going any farther...you might want to back it off a bit actually as to not risk damaging the card. What's the airflow like in your case? That card really should idle at around 50-60*C stock, and hit around 65-75*C under load.

ye, thats my card but mine 512mb, erm airflow, well case has side port for fan but not being used and a 1x120mm fan as back. it does get hot air out. but since i have OC a little temps are same really. i have posted my temps on other forums and some say its normal.

I just bought an ati 4870 512mb with aftermarket cooling installed. the previous owner said the stock cooler sucked really bad, its loud and actually pretty small (actual heatsink size)

I have a single 92mm fan on my ati4870 though it came with two. i used a external fan controller, i keep it at low-medium setting that is very quiet but pushes a fair amount of air. mine idles at 44C, not sure how hot it gets. I can play modern warfare 2 for hours at 785gpu/1030memory. a lot of people have been able to jsut move the CCC sliders all the way over and run fine. I havent tried yet.

I have my dual Sapphire 4870 1gb cards running @ core clock 760 and the memory clock @ 945 fans set to 60%. Idle temps are 54 and 58 C. The problem with that XFX card is it dumps all of the hot air into your case. I had an HIS card with a similar design and the temps were unacceptable. Newegg took it back because the card was supposed to be unclosed blowing the hot air out of the back of the case. Your going to have to live with the heat.:shrug:

You'll know when you've OC your card too much. It will start artifacting. Long straight lines, black blocks, blinking among other things. Good luck!

thanks for replies and ye it gets hot but i get awesome performance :D my card, OC as it kills my friends GTX 260 so :D but i am not botherd about noise and i have a fatality so carnt hear it. anyway thanks for replies. Does anyone know what a good OC will be? using CCC and to improve performance (to make it noiciable) without taking heat risks, thanks

Back