• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

attached a small fan on top of chipset of A7V, felt lotza heat coming from d chipset but CPU n syste

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chicharon1

Registered
attached a small fan on top of chipset of A7V, felt lotza heat coming from d chipset but CPU n syste

i installed a stock 486 fan on top of the green chipset of A7V. I felt lotza hot air coming from the fan. But after booting the PC, all the temp sensors got a +1 C. is the tradeoff worth it?

Did you take the greene off, lap it and apply some grease? Stock they do not have grease and some of those greene's are very wavy and need laping bad.

what u mean by lap it? i just attached a fan on top of it with glue.. did i do it right? should i install a whole new heatsink?

ken257 (Apr 09, 2001 08:54 p.m.):
Did you take the greene off, lap it and apply some grease? Stock they do not have grease and some of those greene's are very wavy and need laping bad.

Lapping is just a fancy term for sanding it down. My advice is to get some wet/dry sandpaper (preferably 600 grit or higher) and lay it on something perfectly flat... then take the heatsink and rub it back and forth (and in circles) until all the green on the bottom is gone. You'll notice that parts of the green goes away before others, which proves that it wasn't flat and wasn't making good contact with the chipset (unless you are lucky and actually have a flat one). Be sure to use a little water on the sandpaper too.

If you want to lap the chipset (not sure how much good it will do) then get somethting small and flat and wrap a little sandpaper around it... then use that to rub the chipset with. Make sure whatever you use is flat, else you're chipset will become uneven and will probably hurt performance... just don't take TOO much surface off of it. :)

Then just put some thermal grease (I guess the Radio Shack kind would work here) on the chipset and stick the heatsink back on there. Also, I wouldn't worry about your CPU temp... it's most likely that crap temp-probe under the CPU... I doubt that you're actually changing the CPU temp. If it doesn't change you're overclocked speed stability then you're ok. This mod should let you get a higher fsb though... when I did it I got up to 124Mhz stable in windows, and adding a peltier actually got it up to 133Mhz, though I can't say all boards would do that.

-=mac=-

"Be sure to use a little water on the sandpaper too."

Why? What is that gonna do?

The water will help lubricate things while you're sanding, making it take less sandpaper(and time). It basically 'floats' away the tiny particles of metal that would otherwise fill the sandpapers - maiking it incredibly hard to sand with. A little aside: Don't ever grind aluminum on a grinding wheel, it'll fill the stone(just like sandpaper). This can actually cause the grinding stone to overheat and crack - which is not a good thing when it's spinning at thousands of RPM.

Thanks Reilly.

Back