• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Attaching a CPU HSf to a GF2 card....?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

strokeside

I have a plan to use the stock heatsink that came with my Celeron on my GF2, and put the GF2 HSF on my Northbridge.
I have seen four holes around the GPU, which I am fairly sure are mounting holes for other types of HSF.
I thought this up becaue the HSF on the northbridge is crappy, and the celeron one is just lying there.
Is my idea a stupid one?
I know I might have to dril holes in the new HSF, but I am prepared for that.
If you think the idea isn't good, got any better ideas????

yes, in the last few days when I was replacing the old thermal paste with AS3 of my GF2 I saw the 4 holes and I'm also thinking of drilling 4 holes on a heatsink to replace the stock GF2 HSF. I'll be using an old spare Pentium HSF. The problem is to make sure the holes will not falling into the fins of the HSF

the other alternative is using thermal expoxy...

and also lapping the GPU, any clue?

Celeron HSF on your GF2, you read my mind!:) I did that exact thing to my GTS. It was actually pretty easy, just time consuming drilling out the HSF so it could mount to the card.

The way I drilled tore about 1/3 of one fin clear off the heatsink, but it really doesn't matter much. I just used some nylon nuts and bolts threaded thru the holes I made in the HSF thru the GF2, easy.

Lapping the GPU- I wrapped some sandpaper around a credit-card piece of glass I had, that worked fine albeit slow.

Here's what mine looks like now-

Last edited:
Monster of Rock said:

Lapping the GPU- I wrapped some sandpaper around a credit-card piece of glass I had, that worked fine albeit slow.

yeh I was thinking the hard (dumb) way: wrapping up the video card and exposing the GPU and lap it over a piece of sand paper:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Monster of Rock said:

just thought about that, instaed of a credit-card piece of glass, an old spare unused lapped CPU heatsink:D

but how to avoid the dust from the lapping (even wet sanding) from dropping onto the video card? wrap it up first?

yah GPU dust does get all over the place and the card, but you can just clean it off with canned air or something later. It's never been a problem for me really, as the dust is not conductive- it's basically plastic.

I've got some sort of CPU cooler on my Voodoo 3/2000. Had to cut it a bit to make it fi, and I lost my first two PCI slots under the AGP slot. But, it works well. As I can actually tough the heatsink on the GPU without getting burned. I've clocked it as high as 191Mhz, but it benched better at 179Mhz, so that's where it's at now.

well i'm not overclocking mine yet. but i attached it with arctic alumina epoxy. i bought it at fry's...i never knew fry's carried the stuff. Arctic Alumina, Arctic Silver III, and both of the epoxies...amazing!

Monster of Rock said:
yah GPU dust does get all over the place and the card, but you can just clean it off with canned air or something later. It's never been a problem for me really, as the dust is not conductive- it's basically plastic.

Canned air? Alittle too weak for my tastes. Here's what you really need:
pb-650.gif

Nothing beats air blowing at 200mph.

Lou Natic said:

Canned air? Alittle too weak for my tastes. Here's what you really need:
pb-650.gif

Nothing beats air blowing at 200mph.

wow lol hmmm now theres an idea what would happen if u aimed that thing at a cpu hsf :D

if you turned a can of compressed air upside down and you blew it at the HSF...wouldn't that be close to LN2 cooling? why doesn't someone try it?

I'm surprised no one has thought up a evaporative cooling setup that WON'T fry everything in the box.

JoeCrappa- a bunch of folks have done the ol' 'upside-down canned air' thing. It does indeed freeze yer CPU down to like -20, but even if you use the whole can it's only good for maybe a minute or two of spraying before the (expensive) can is empty.

It's a pretty cool trick, but isn't really worthwhile. Although you can use it to see just how fast yer CPU will POST at -20:)

Back