• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Attatching Ramsinks w/ White glue?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Agent_Mull

Has anyone tried using white glue instead of superglue? I want to put on ramsinks, but i couldnt find thermal tape at my computer store, and i dont want to superglue pieces of metal to my baby that i just got 3 days ago.

I wouldnt do it, use thermal tape, Some type of thermal epoxy or a dab of super glue with some thermal goop on there... don't do white glue, it isn't very strong, doesn't mix well with other stuff and it just plain sucks.

I have found that superglue will reliquify if it gets hot enough (happened on my NB). So i'm guessing that plain white glue would just do the same if the ram gets hot enough.

gruvin2 said:
I have found that superglue will reliquify if it gets hot enough (happened on my NB). So i'm guessing that plain white glue would just do the same if the ram gets hot enough.

Wow... Thats a surprise (well I guess it's not too surprising lol)... Never had that happen to me... Hrm... Ram doesn't get too hot nee ways :p

Yeah if your talking about elmers white glue or whatever it is... It may burn or do goofy things due to the fact that it is organic. However I have used the $0.99 tube of crazy glue that you can get at almost any store.

Angry because I can't link my channel in my sig :mad:

Last edited:
what some ppl have done if u cant get thermal tape or epoxy is that they just put super glue in the corners and then a good thermal compound like AS5 or ceramique in the middle where the glue isnt

I want to stay away from super glue just b/c its new, and if my parents saw me superglueing pieces of metal to the 200$ card they bought they might flip out. Also, my ramsinks arent that great so i dont want to semi-permanently attatch anything right now. they are just cut up Thermaltake SdRam Heatsinks.

well its not permanent at ALL, superglue is such a weak bond...if put thru very cold temps, the bond gets weakened and u can pry it off with a flat-head screwdriver

what they dont know what hurt them :D

i think alumina adhesive would be the best coarse of action.

or sweet and sour pork..hahaha jp

"oohhh sweet and sour pork so sticky, make mongolians stick right to the wall"

Oh Ya!! To freeze the glue off, i have some Air In a Can dust stuff. If you turn it upside down, the liquid comes out and it freezes stuff. Its about as close as you can come to N2 w/o a license or what ever. But it doesnt get nearly as cold.

no...usually artifacts mean u need to lower ur OC, in some cases it will but ive heard that cooling ur ram wont allow for a higher oc maybe 1 or 2 mhz more....

and u dont need to freeze it w/ canned air, just stick it in an anti-static bag and put it in the freezer for about 30 minutes, then it will pry right off

Well I managed to keep HSs on my old card using some extra goopy stock thermal paste... just put a little bit too much on and it should stick...

Even the ones on the bottom stick with too much as3? Also If artifacts mean that ive oced too much, then my BBA 9600xt w/ samsung ram is crappy. im only @ 325/330. Thats not too bad. but ive seen other people get alot further.

Last edited:
Not AS3, thats a little too wattery and I wouldn't want it near the contacts (wich you need to have for this - I would and did use it if they were secured on there perminently). But yes they stuck, you would be surprised, they did heat up to though the thermal transfer may not have been as good as somthing that is perminently secured and has only a thin layer.

well, all i have is as3 (or a knockoff of it). the tube looks just like as3 except the labels different.Its antec REFERENCE

It will probbly work but if it's conductive or capactive or whatever I would be very carful not to get it on the PCB or too close to the edje of the chips... You can probably get some free goop at your local computer store... or just really cheap stuff from radio shack (that worked REALLY well).

Back