• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Attempting to build a new pc.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zookopf

Registered
Hi, I have recently come upon some spare cash. I have decided to build a new computer, partly because my current one is very out dated, partly for fun. I don't know a lot about computers but i'm very eager to give it a shot. I have around 600-700 euros (900-1000 dollars). I have been browsing around the interweb and I have found a few possible components that I think look good. Could you guys please let me know if these parts are compatible and any suggestions on atlernitive parts are more than welcome. thanks.

MoBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P

Graphic Card: MSI RADEON HD 4870 1GB DDR5 DUAL DVI HDMI HDTV PCI-E

Processor: AMD Phenom II X3 710 2.6GHz 3 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Processor

Hard drive: Dell Western Digital RAPTOR 160Gb 10000 RPM SATA Drive

PSU: Unsure (suggestions welcome)

RAM: Unsure

Case: Unsure

ratbuddy

I don't think I'd bother with the Raptor. Grab a regular hard drive and use the savings to bump yourself up to a 5850 :beer:

oakstave

I agree with Ratbuddy on the drive, but I suppose it depends on what your using it for. What will you use this machine for?

As far as a PSU... Try PowerMax... :eek: NO, NO, just kidding... Sorry I couldn't help myself.

Don't buy a cheap power supply
! You can literally ruin your brand new hardware with a cheap, explody PSU. I like the Thermaltake Toughpower. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010090058 50001379&name=Thermaltake Just because they've never caused me any grief. Antec also makes good PSU's at reasonable prices. There are many others...Edit: I don't think my link ships to U.K., but you can look at the relative prices and models.

Any particular reason you chose AMD over Intel for the cpu?

Also, as far as the case goes, are you planning on overclocking this computer? If so, make sure you get a well ventilated case, and an aftermarket cpu cooler. I use an Antec 900 and replaced the fans, added a fan control unit. Ugly and out of date, but effective. I also have an Antec Skeleton... another ugly, but effective case for cooling.

Last edited: