• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

attention linux folders, program u might want..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

overdoze

I'm folding gromacs with lots of linux box and sometimes it is real hard to maintain b/c servers on gromacs always run out of work units and make my box wait for ever getting work. Go into each box and restart the fold job without the gromacs options is time consuming. So I've written a scripts to automaticly switch to tinker cores when there is problem. Also, there is a bug in linux folding program where it will not go under 6% of cpu usage when I'm using the computer. Thus, if you fold you can not use full speed of your box when you need the cpu. Therefore, I wrote a perl program to handle all of the above issues for my own use and also want to share with others users that have the same frustration like I do.

Read the top part of the program for how to use the program. Minimum system requirements is. Linux with perl,awk, grep and egrep installed. I tested it with redhat and gentoo and it works just fine.

If someone wants it you can download it here for single cpu box.
http://home.swbell.net/trangpho/fold
EDIT: new file fix some bugs I found today. If you have a dual processor box you can uncommend the lines as noted in the program.

Last edited:
folding scripts

Nice work!

I'll give it a try on some of mine.

Germa, sorry, I don't know how to do that. Perhaps some programers can. I'm not a programer. I'm just a sys admin and that is a quick and dirty script I wrote.

NOTE that if you want to switch back to gromacs once the program already switch to tinker core. You would have to do the following

fold stop
fold >& fold.log

again to switch back to fold gromacs core. It will continue where it left off and go on to gromacs core once the current WU completes.

I usually refresh the program once a day by using
crontab -e so that it will switch back to gromacs automatically.

here is my crontab example at 8:00AM everyday.
01 8 * * * /usr/local/bin/fold > /data/emu/fold.log 2>&1
0 8 * * * /usr/local/bin/fold stop > /dev/null 2>&1

found some new bugs today. If you already d/l you should d/l again as this bug is serious and bog down you cpu quite a bit.

bugfix:

The scripts try to d/l new WU when waiting for cpu load to come down at start rather than only d/l new WU when idle for more than 1 minute while folding.

Back