• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Atx cable 5 volt

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

t12121

Does anyone know what would cause just the +5 volt on the atx cable to become burnt?? Because that is what happened to me. Let me know.

Thanks

Oklahoma Wolf

Senior Warranty Validity Sealed Stick Remover
Poor connection will do this... depending on the damage, the affected pins on both the motherboard and PSU connector will need replacing.

OP
T

t12121

damage is pretty sevre one of the plastic is completely melted away and the others are about the same. Would it be better if I just got a new power supply?? And what of the motherboard. Should I be worried about damage to that. Is their any way that I can post a photo of the damage?? Thanks again

Oklahoma Wolf

You can use a free hosting service to post the pics on - I use www.photobucket.com myself. If either the PSU or board are under warranty, I'd see about getting an RMA first. If not, the options are to either buy new components or get those connectors replaced by a technician.

OP
T

t12121

Thanks for the advice. But I am thinking that the damage is already done so to speak. I have plastic melted in the pins on the mobo. and I dont know if it would be worth my money to fix it. I have had it for a while so there is no warrentee on it anymore. Were would I need to go to get it looked at?? best buy comp usa local puter shop?? what would be best to get it looked at?? Thanks again

Oklahoma Wolf

You would have to go to an electronics repair shop - most computer repair places don't have the facilities for this type of electronics repair. The cost of getting those connectors done though might cost you more than you'd want to pay. I think it would be more worth the money to just replace both, unless you know someone who can replace those connectors for cheap.

OP
T

t12121

ya thanks for the advice. I have a buddy that is willing to try to fix the atx on the mobo. He said he cant guarrentee anything but it isnt working for me anyway. And he said he could fix the power supply. Hopefully he can get it fixed because I really dont want to replace the mobo because I dont want to reformat my drives. Do to drivers and such. :bang head :bang head

Mr.Radar

t12121 said:
Hopefully he can get it fixed because I really dont want to replace the mobo because I dont want to reformat my drives. Do to drivers and such. :bang head :bang head
If you're using Windows XP (either Home or Pro) then you can just run a repair install and Windows will reinstall all the mobo-specific system components to match the new hardware.

OP
T

t12121

ok thanks I will keep that in mind if the mobo repairs dont work. Thanks for the info. But with any luck they will work I have complete confinence (sp?) in him. I pray that it will work. So hopefully I wont having to do anything like that :D

OP
T

t12121

well my buddy got everything fixed he had to replace the connector on the power supply and remove and replace the plug on the mobo. IT works now so I am happy. I have had it for like 3 days now no problems :clap: :clap: