• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Audigy digital/analog out to reciever AC-3 in, where can I get the cable for this?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OC Noob

Audigy digital/analog out to reciever AC-3 in, where can I get the cable for this?

I want to hook up my audigy to a reciever. There is a cable the will go from the digital/analog out jack on the Audigy to a digital in (AC-3) jack on the reciever (the orange RCA looking jack).

I went to Radio Shack and checked out a bunch of online stores, but have been unable to find one.

ps I want to use the sub from my computer speakers too, can I just hook it up to one the Audigy analog out jacks?

The sub has jacks for speakers so everything goes though it. I was just wondering if I could use the digital/analog jack AND one of the analogs (for the sub) at the same time?

runsalone

Do your soundcard or amp have an optical digital toslink input/output? that'd be the easiest way to transfer the signal from your puter to your amp without losing sound quality. About your computer speakers, im not quite sure what you are trying to do. Run your satellite/sub computer speakers off of your home theater amp?

Kato

Addicted Tweaker
You need a Mini-plug to RCA cable, the Mini-plug goes into your Audigy's digital out, while the RCA end goes into your reciever.

cwb27

You need a cable that goes from male RCA to male 3/8" mono.

It'll look like a headphone jack type deal, but it'll only be one channel (hence the mono). I wouldn't be too concerned about getting one that's shielded as long as you're not running it more than 3-4 feet, it's a digital signal so it won't degrade as much as an analoge one would. However, for arguements sake, try to get one that's shielded.

Last edited:
OP
OC Noob

OC Noob

I have an nice Sony reciever and some decent JBL speakers collecting dust, so I want to hook them up to the Audigy. Since I don't have a sub sitting around I would like to keep using it along with the JBL speakers.

I was looking at an online manual for the Audigy it showed a cable going from digital/analog out on the Audigy to a digital audio in on a reciever (it is like an RCA jack only it is orange and can handle a digital signal, unlike the RCAs).

Would it make any difference in sound quality if I just went from the analog out to RCA jacks? I won't be watching DVDs, just playing games and MP3s. Oh yeah, cable TV too, but not digital.

ps the audigy doesn't have an optical out. That would have made things easy and you know that can't happen:p

cwb27

If you went analog to to analog you don't get surround sound, if you want to go this route get shielded cables and you'll get very little quality loss.

OP
OC Noob

OC Noob

Since I can't find what I'm looking for I'll go that route (shielded analog). I probably won't notice the difference anyway.

No, I showered
Right, if you want surround sound, you need the cable. It's really NOT that hard to find what you need. The mono 1/8" phono to single RCA is probably the only cable you need. Alternatively, you could get a stereo 1/8" phono and figure out which of the connections is used for the S/PDIF by trying the two RCAs one at a time to the input on the receiver.