• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Audio nuts, need some help with a mixer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SteveLord

A co-worker's son wants to get into sound mixing and want it hooked up to their PC. They've enlisted me to make sure it's equipped.

They are looking into this Yamaha MG124C mixer.

Do they need a higher end sound for this thing to work? Also, it would currently be on an XP machine. How is Windows 7 with this kind of setup?

Feel free to educate me as this is not my area of expertise. ;)

four4875

it will work with any sound card, but the quality of the ADCs / codec on the card could have a massive impact on recorded sound quality. The only card i've used for recording was a sound blaster audigy platinum 2, it was decent enough for my ears and speakers/headphones.
I'm guessing the kid is involved in a band or something similar? I'm just pondering if the money spent on a sound card might be better spent on quality instrument mics.

OP
SteveLord

SteveLord

What ports do they typically use? Wondering if it's fine with basic onboard, or would they need one of those elaborate face attachments typically found on higher end Creative sound cards.

jhanby

What ports do they typically use? Wondering if it's fine with basic onboard, or would they need one of those elaborate face attachments typically found on higher end Creative sound cards.

Well, it really depends on what he is going to be doing with it.

You can either go Digital or Analog for the interface to the computer.

The most common Digital interface is MIDI, but USB and Firewire are gaining popularity. MIDI is quite expensive, as most onboards do not have decent MIDI (if at all). USB and Firewire are cheaper for the computer, but more expensive for the mixers, as they have only really just come onto the market.

If you go analog, it is generally much cheaper. You can pick up an old X channel mixer for next to nothing in the UK, don't know about USA though. For example, I have a 8 channel Tascam MIDI Studio 688, which we use the Analog out into a sound card to record songs.

This would then output analog sound to either onboard or a dedicated sound card. Onboard is fine and depending on the quality of the Mixer/recording software, a sound card may not be benificial.

The next thing you have to take into account is the recording software.
One of the most popular free recorders is Audacity, which I have used and can recommend it. I'm not that up to scratch with Paid recorders though.

Weeman

In terms of a sound card, it doesn't matter, on board works fine. What you're looking for is a MIDI device (yes I know MIDI is obsolete). The software will be included. Head into your local music store (speciality store, not Best Buy) and talk to the sales guy. If you're really 'gung ho,' I like M-audio, creative also has very nice EMU line up if this kid has skills on the piano.