• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Audio PCI sound card not working after reformat of the hard drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Havoc_

Registered
Yesterday I reformatted my hard drive of a computer I bought from a fellow graduate student. It is a PII 233 mgz that came with cd-rom, sound card, etc. The sound card read that it is a Audio PCI (I am guessing Ensoniq) that is labeled as E955603. I went to gateway and loaded the driver for it and I have no sound. The device manager does read that it has drivers that are operating, yet, Istill have no sound. What can Ido to correct this. Idid go to the Ensoniq web page and loaded their Audio PCI driver, yet again, no sound. I dont understand what happened. I did notice 2 hot spots on the card that appeared discolored. This card has no hea sink or fan. Hopefully soemone will have a helpful suggestion.

Two things-
1. I believe that since it's a Gateway machinge that the Ensoniq Audio PCI is actually just an onboard sound chip (mounted to the motherboard). If this is correct, then make sure that the onboard audio is enabled in the BIOS and that Plug n Play are also enabled in the BIOS. THen when you boot up WIndows should detect the drivers.
2. You didn't say what OS you're using. If you installed WIn2k you might find that the drivers are incompatible.

Back