• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Audio Pics

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
lifes often backwards. by the time you can afford a good hi-fi your deaf.
we retire when were to toasted to explore.
we have wisdom well past the usefull fact.

and two out of three neighbours prefer you to keep it down.

musics a great escapism... I hope once I eat enough aluminium I get music in my head instead of voices... or at least a sarcastic glee club running commentry on my life.

but for now.... louder, longer, fatter, deeper music! (as may or may not have been chanted at parties by crazy fools bleeding at the ears)

lifes a journey `n all that...

That's true, BobbyB. At least my older ears have heard and I've enjoyed a whole lot of great music over the years. At least I'm not deaf, though some frequencies are reduced. I can still enjoy what I can hear.

I think of old Beethoven beginning to go deaf so early in life. Researchers have discovered that his favorite wine was bottled in clay bottles. The clay used in making those bottles came from a spot with a very high lead count. One of the side-effects of lead poisoning is that it greatly increases hearing loss. So it was his preference in what he considered to be an excellent wine that probably caused his deafness. That was, of course, in a time when nobody knew anything about lead poisoning.

Yep. Life is what it is. But at least I'm on the right side of the dirt. And I'm thankful for that.

BachOn

I'm lucky to have a quite decent hearing, even though several large explosions were shot with my active hearing protection running out of batteries/going defunct in the defence forces (wasn't serving outside my own country's borders, merely being a conscript).

I've been getting increasingly aware of acoustics lately. The next time I get to move, I was thinking of dedicating the other room for movie/music and computer use and have some heavy duty bass traps in the corners and thick dampening on the first reflections. No point in having neutral speakers when your room has 15dB dips AND spikes in the response, like my current one. It sometimes baffles me how some people care about their cables and DACs making minute at best (nonexistent most usually) differences in untreated rooms like mine.

Please walk me through what's going on there, because it's look amazing :thup:

It's a latest gen ipod classic that's been Rockboxed using one of Aroldans builds.
Just like flashing a BIOS you "flash" your ipod using emCORE and then install the Rockbox build.
The amp is an iBasso D-Zero and the IEMs are customs that I had made from an Oregon company called 1964 ears.
The custom IEMs are truly amazing. They fit your ears and your ears only. You have to go to an audiologist and have ear impressions done and send the impressions to a custom IEM shop. Turn around time is about a month to a month and a half, but the sound quality is worth the wait and price...:D

I've been browsing head-fi for a while and there's considerable buzz about 1964 ears and custom IEM's in general. I'd really love a pair but the price is so high. I suppose they'll be the last headphones you'll ever need in your lifetime :) Good stuff man, good stuff.

They are a product of obssesion to say the least. It's because of head-fi(I go by RingingEars there BTW) that I bought them and I haven't had any desire to go back to full headphones since.

Mmm, I'd really like to get one of those D-Zeros for on the go and here at home. I use headphones a LOT and that thing has good reviews from virtually everyone.

^^^ Ooh, I didn't know about these things, and I've been thinking of buying a real pair of cans.. Some are on ebay for $50.. (or $100 new on sweetwater). Are these strictly for monitoring or would they be a suitable choice for electronic music? Daft Punk is my speed..

Also like the new avatar voodoo. I have a thick coffee table art book for lain.

^^^ Ooh, I didn't know about these things, and I've been thinking of buying a real pair of cans.. Some are on ebay for $50.. (or $100 new on sweetwater)

50$ for what ?

edit new? my cans are old old old. the k240's and sixty are from the 70's and the k340 are from the 80's
Are these strictly for monitoring or would they be a suitable choice for electronic music? Daft Punk is my speed..
The sixty's (blue ones in the back) are grate for electronic and anything bass heavy. But your need to replace the caps to make them worth wile.
they go for around 45~65$
the k240 sextetts (green cable) are good with just about anything. they're more on the light side.
Grate for classic stuff and gaming.
They go for around 90~125$
the k340: good luck finding a pare worth using, your need a very very powerful amp to use a set like that.
Tbhey shine with vocals, female vocals most of all they do good with electronic music as well. they're a pain in the but to EQ as well.
They go for around 190~300$ depending on the shape, model and how well they sound. with age and use the k340 get bad: they're electrostatic and come in 3 models. etch model sounds a bit different (not sure witch on I have)

Last edited:
Sorry, I was talking about the K240s. I did some reading and their treble performance comes up. There's also a Mark2 version that costs more, I wonder if they addressed this.

50$ for what ?

edit new? my cans are old old old. the k240's and sixty are from the 70's and the k340 are from the 80's

The sixty's (blue ones in the back) are grate for electronic and anything bass heavy. But your need to replace the caps to make them worth wile.
they go for around 45~65$
the k240 sextetts (green cable) are good with just about anything. they're more on the light side.
Grate for classic stuff and gaming.
They go for around 90~125$
the k340: good luck finding a pare worth using, your need a very very powerful amp to use a set like that.
Tbhey shine with vocals, female vocals most of all they do good with electronic music as well. they're a pain in the but to EQ as well.
They go for around 190~300$ depending on the shape, model and how well they sound. with age and use the k340 get bad: they're electrostatic and come in 3 models. etch model sounds a bit different (not sure witch on I have)

Sorry, I was talking about the K240s. I did some reading and their treble performance comes up. There's also a Mark2 version that costs more, I wonder if they addressed this.

oh the new k240's

their good if you have the power. but nothing like the k240's from the 70's and early 80's
http://wiki.faust3d.com/wiki/index.php?title=AKG_K240_Series

edit
if you can get your hands on a older set like the Sextett, get them instead of the new sets.
IIRC the new family was mostly built off old Monitor version. they're mostly good with classic and vocals.
the old sextett are good at just about anything and EQ well. Very flat out of the box with good sound stage mids and highs.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. I didn't realize what open-back meant, and I don't want sound coking in or out of the headphones I buy.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. I didn't realize what open-back meant, and I don't want sound coking in or out of the headphones I buy.
Open cans have a open back wile close cans have a sealed cover on the back.

Open back cans are nice if you like high treble clean accurate bass and wide soundstage. nice for gaming.
They do leak like crazy. The k340 leak like crazy, I even modded my pair to lower the leakage. But that was like peeing in the wind.
Closed cans have higher bass and deeper soundstage.

This is my new set up. Found a couple of very nice polks my uncle wasn't using anymore and pulled out the old Sony receiver. Not a high quality set up by any means but it's something to get me started.

Special Note: Don't worry I'm going to re-level the speakers, my OCD won't possibly let them sit uneven to long :rofl:

New audio set up.jpg

The AKG Sextetts are excellent headphones. I've wanted a pair for awhile. Only been able to find less than good condition, over priced pairs on ebay. I'm thinking about picking up a pair of Grado RS2s or Sennheiser HD600s, need to find a place w/ both so i can put em head to head, or ear to ear i should say.

Back