• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Audio with MSN Messenger and router

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kusojiji

Anyone know how to get audio to work on MSN Messenger 6.1 through a linksys BEFSR41 router? I have UPNP enabled in the router and it is actively enabling ports for msnmsgr services, but I still don't have any audio.

I have tried to use the microphone on a Logitech Quickcam Pro 4000 and a stand-alone mic on the audigy 2 card. Nothing.

I also have zone alarm pro 4.5.530 running. Not sure what to do about it.

OP
K

kusojiji

okay, got some progress to report.

I can talk through my router using two of my computers with separate msn messenger accounts. had to get upnp services started on both and had to drop the microsoft fw.

as for my other computer with the zone alarm fw, I still don't know what to do about it.

OP
K

kusojiji

more info. it seems that once the router has the forwarding ports assigned, it does not matter if the upnp service in windowsxp is started or not. I stopped it and the connection was still made.