• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Aurora Mayhem 2 Red

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ankalol

Registered
Hey, I have had my fair share of pain with my waterloop, I did an earlier post: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/775069-Loop-getting-really-hot
Now it seems like my problem has come creaping up again....
My gpu core reach 94-95c at almost any game at any settings. I have an MSI 390x and are using Aphacool block for my gpu.
Granted I do only have one 240 x 145 x 45mm (L x W x H) rad, I still believe something is wrong, because I did have about 67c at ultra at one point.

My fear is that the coolant I am using is the cause, the Aurora Mayhem 2. I did not intend to buy a coolant with pearls, but I really diddnt mind when I first saw it, it looked cool in the first weeks.
Now the pearls is almost gone, and the color has darkened alot. I see alot of pearls in the res. so im assuming its the same in the other parts aswell.
As I emptied the loop today I tested how much preassure I needed to add to the loop by blowing in the tubes. Through the rad it seemed fine, but through the gpu block it seemed to be pretty tight.
I reapplied thermal paste on the gpu and set the loop up again (thought the paste might be the reason) but the temps still rise to 94c.

So my question is if you think that the coolant might have clogged the gpu block so much that not enough stream is allowed through?
And if yes, do you think its saveable by rinsing the gpu block and add a new coolant?

Idle temp:
CPU: 20-35c
GPU: 20-30c

Load temp:
CPU: 40-55c
GPU: 85-95c

Thanks.

Most likely all those "pearls" are built up in the gpu preventing good flow. You need to take the block apart and do a thorough cleaning. Plus it's the only way to know for sure. I would recommend not using any coolant that have dyes in them in the future. Sure, they look cool, but almost always cause problems down the road.

EDIT: I just read through your other post and a lot of the issues you're having could have been prevented if you had read this article first. Take a moment to read it. There may be more answers for you in there.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I really wish I read that besfore I started assembling the loop, could have saved me alot of pain!
I will take the block apart and clean it. But when you say that, you mean that I disassemble the block, open the "coolant room", or simply flushing it?

And do you think we can exclude the need for another radiator? I mean ofc its way better for the temperature, and I will buy another 2x240 later, but shooting up to 85-95c after just 30sec must be because of the waterblock?
Dont know the exact temp of the coolant, but it seems fairly warm, maybe 35c after 30min of loadtemps.

I would open it completely and check for any gunk. Another 240mm will surely help temps, but not if the coolant isn't flowing.

P.S. You really shouldn't blow into your lines. It could contaminate them and may end up with growth. Not something you want to deal with.

Back