• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

auto start for vm & ubuntu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xsuperbgx

Benching Team Leader
:shrug:Is there a way to automatically start fah in a vm when logging on in windows?

I would think that I could start vmware player easily enough but how do I tell it to start the vm? and how do I start fah within ubuntu at startup?

Any tips are appreciated......
Thanks

Adak

You can make a shortcut for it, and put it in your startup folder. This is on a Windows XP system, right? Windows 7 and Vista have slightly different requirements and I don't have a box to test this on for them.

Starting fah automatically on startup in Ubuntu, is just a matter of putting a small script file in place. I've seen the script file contents, but I'm too much of a Linux noob to have set it up.

Oh Shelnutt2! (he's our default Linux guru).

OP
xsuperbgx

xsuperbgx

Benching Team Leader
I put a shortcut to vmplayer in the startup folder, but, it only starts vmplayer. It doesn't start the actual ubuntu vm though.

jintatsu

you can create a batch file to start the vm.
Open notepad or some other text editor and place

"c:\program files\vmware\vmware workstation\vmplayer.exe" -x "c:\VMs\Ubuntu.vmx"

"c:\program files\vmware\vmware workstation\vmplayer.exe" - the path for your vmplayer
"c:\VMs\Ubuntu.vmx" - the path to your vmware image

Save the file with a .bat extension and place it on your startup folder.

You can edit your rc.local file to run fah but I think it would only run when you login to your ubuntu machine. Not sure. Forgot about this. I don't have a machine here I could test. I'll try it at home.

Last edited:

Adak

I put a shortcut to vmplayer in the startup folder, but, it only starts vmplayer. It doesn't start the actual ubuntu vm though.

I prefer to start my own, but I thought if you could daisy chain these startups, one to the other, via their initialization files, etc.

Harlam's bat file seems an easier way to go.

OP
xsuperbgx

xsuperbgx

Benching Team Leader
-x "c:\VMs\Ubuntu.vmx"
I just added that (but the proper path) to the target line in the shorcut properties and that got the vm to start up properly.
Thanks!

I have messed around with the startup files and scripts in ubuntu but I can't seem to get it to work. But I am a ubuntu noob. I probably am not doing it right.

ChasR

Ubuntu 9.10 allows automatic start without a login, so you can create a shortcut to the .vmx flie and put it in the startup folder, no need for a batch file. That will start the vm and ubuntu will start if set to automatic login. Then edit rc.local to start fah.